Snider Prototype (Traynor YGM-4)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sonicmojo

Re: Snider Prototype (Traynor YGM-4)

Post by sonicmojo »

I added some grid stoppers (22K - V1A and 68K - V1B) to the reverb input and from the gain pot respectively and I think I solved any oscillations that were going on. This is kind of a wild circuit in the preamp and adding the reverb transformer was right in the middle of it.
---------
Bryan
sonicmojo

Re: Snider Prototype (Traynor YGM-4)

Post by sonicmojo »

I've been messing around with my 18 watt version of this a lot since I had the original Snider prototype to compare with. My version just wasn't getting to where I wanted it to be so I ripped out the reverb and converted it to a high gain Marshall circuit similar to the rob robinette site details with the 4 stage preamp with cold clipping and cathode follower, but in 18 watt. I made the reverb pot into a 1MA pre-PI master, went with a conventional Marshall tone stack (I really didn't like the functionality of the Snider prototype), made the PPIMV into a dual pot and I'm much happier with the end result and what I can get out of it.

Perhaps this Snider circuit needs the bigger iron to sound better. My 18 watt voltages are lower and maybe that contributed to my pain. Has anyone else messed around with this circuit?

One thing I've for sure learned is that inserting a one tube reverb in the middle of a higher gain preamp can be very problematic with feedback and really doesn't provide a "nice" sounding reverb (to my ears) no matter what I tried.....

Anyhow, I thought I'd report back with my end results....
---------
Bryan