implementing a reverb circuit

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davebolden44

implementing a reverb circuit

Post by davebolden44 »

Greetings again, in my recent tonal experiments I have been giving myself a headache with some general pondering about implementing a digital reverb circuit into an amplifier and I would like some kind folks with higher I.Q.'s than mine to maybe offer a little guidance. I have recently added a D-stlye passive loop to my 5F6A Bassman which was my first build and I put a Verbrator in there with awesome results. It is currently my favorite setup and dare I say the best thing I have ever even played through. I want to start designing something new along the lines of a simple tweed circuit with some reverb and I have been eyeing up the accutronics digi log reverb units, specifically the BTDR-3. Upon reading the datasheets I noticed that it states the peak input voltage is 1.5 volts. I am not sure if I am going about this the right way or not, but with both channels on my Bassman jumpered and a multimeter on the send jack of the loop I have read a max of 10 volts A.C. while simply playing the guitar with the amp cranked which is where I think I should implement the reverb. I have also noticed on the verbrator that it lights up an LED when I attack the strings hard or crank the amp. One can only assume that it is there to absorb excess voltage so whatever I.C.'s are in there don't get fried. In my limited knowledge I think I need something like that(in parallel?) with the input of the reverb, but I have absolutely no idea how to design that properly. Very interested to hear some ideas on the matter or if I am even on the right track. Thanks-Dave
10thTx

Re: implementing a reverb circuit

Post by 10thTx »

There is quite a bit of information on "one tube reverbs" (along with schematic illustrations) here:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7957.0

I've read pretty mixed reviews on the solid state "brick" circuit from people who have tried it.

With respect, 10thtx
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I will read through the provided info, appreciate it. I am sure there are many biased opinions out there. Still curious how to limit the input voltage though, would be useful knowledge for these passive loops. Would be nice to not have a reverb tank splashing around, that verbrator sounds better than any fender reverb circuit I have ever heard.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Search for a thread here using the BDTR-3. I have not yet quite finished...I think it's been 2 years...life keeps getting in the way. I'm close to being done.
One thing I'd suggest is that you go with the BDTR-2. It is much simpler. I've concluded I don't need all the "options" the BDTR-3 offers.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Awesome Phil, thanks and I will look for it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Lou and I had great success with the BTDR-3 and a +-15v supply for high headroom. Search for my Monkeymatic Trinity thread.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I looked in the only trinity thread i could find and im not seeing anything about the reverb :?:
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Another option would be the Spin FV-1 chip. It sounds great, low noise and is the heart of many of the newer delay/verb pedals out there.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Seems like a pretty complex solution to my reverb needs. I think the input signal voltage for the spin is even lower. It does however look a lot like whats in the verbrator. Cant be sure though cause somebody smeared shit all over the parts in mine.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Dave, here's the thread I was talking about:

http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/topic100.html

The digital reverb is superb, and the boards Lou created are excellent. You can probably get a set from him (JazzGuitarGimp).
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think one question I'd have at this point, if people are building in SS reverb's into the mix is "What does this gain you that an external reverb pedal doesn't?" There are some pretty amazing reverb pedals out there, I love my T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame, it has a spring reverb that sounds pretty amazing, as well as plate, hall, cathedral, etc. What is the benefit of putting extra ss components inside the amp in this situation? I guess in some ways Dumbles do this with the FET as a boost, but just curious :)

I get the tube driven ones as they have that tube sound... :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

well the point is to have the reverb right before the p.i. after overdriving the preamp, and to try to design something new.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

thanks xtian, that is exactly what I am looking for
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: implementing a reverb circuit

Post by pompeiisneaks »

davebolden44 wrote:well the point is to have the reverb right before the p.i. after overdriving the preamp, and to try to design something new.
Gotcha, the learning something new makes sense. Otherwise an effects loop gets you the other part right?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I guess I just feel that a digital circuit is equal tonally minus the extra hardware. I will try the same one that xtian used and go from there. Big thanks to him and JazzGuitarGimp.