Ampeg reverbrocket

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

menger66

Ampeg reverbrocket

Post by menger66 »

Have requist to build ampeg reverbrocket what years are the best sounding?
He wants octal preamp Version, he also wants 7591 powertubes, ive never built
a ampeg or reverb in a amp not sure what reverb pan Or reverb transformer
hoping classic tone offers one. Anyone know of a ampeg RR chassis that i could buy? Thank mark
Stevem

Re: Ampeg reverbrocket

Post by Stevem »

This model Ampeg does not use a Reverb driver transformer as do many other Ampegs due to the tube used to drive the pan having a good level of current drive output.

The pan used in the RR has a input Resistance of 178 ohms and a output of 150 ohms, impeadance wise this is about 1.43k on the input side and 2.15K on the output side.

The original pan part number is 4FB3A1B, this is the number for a verticle mount pan like Ampeg used which is the preferred way to mount a any 14" Reverb pan!

For overall cleaner sounds and tighter Bass the 7591A is a great tube, but it's only the NOS ones that sound great!
In light of this I would concider building the amp in the 6V6 version and use JJ brand tubes which are born with a little 6L6 in them.
If you building for clean sounds go with the SS recto version from mid 1966 and up.

You should up the output Cathode resistor to 15 watts and install a V+ fuse as just the stock primary side AC fuse as mad enough for tons of burned up power transformers in a lot of Ampeg models!

With 7591 output tubes and a SS recto these amps will do some 18 watts of clean power, but there original Jensen drivers where pretty low in there SPL rating so these amps responded more like 8 watt amps .

You want a driver with atleast a 96 db SPL rating.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!