Electar tube 30

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ubxf

Electar tube 30

Post by ubxf »

I just got one of those amps, it works but it is a little underwhelming. Are there any not too major mods worth trying that you could recommend .
Thanks
francois
electar_tube_30.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strelok

Re: Electar tube 30

Post by strelok »

My first thought with something like that would be to get all the SS stuff out of the signal chain. You could start first by removing D1 and D2. Then depending on what you're after you could remove or bypass all the LDR circuitry and the zener diodes. Just a thought. Might be more headache than its worth. Also the output tubes don't appear to have screen resistors on them. That would be something I'd really recommend adding to increase the output tube life if/when the output section is overdriven. Double check the amp to make sure it wasn't just left off the schematic.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

That can't be the right cap value for c18 !?, please check c17 and 18 and report back.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
strelok

Post by strelok »

Yeah that doesn't seem right. Also R6 looks wrong as well. That has to be a typo. Let us know what you find is actually in there. Also have you tried the amp with other speakers?
ubxf

Post by ubxf »

Thanks for the help, i ended up changing the speaker and bypassing V1b and it is a lot better
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

There are so many things wrong with that schematic. Wrong component values all over.

A quick search shows others have simply abandoned that schematic as being way wrong and just rebuilt the amp.

Here is one example of a rebuild.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/articles/ ... kede30.pdf

Cheers,
Ian
ubxf

Post by ubxf »

Thanks for that link, it's quite nice but it is almost like a new build. Changing the speaker and the bypass were a minor mod but a big improvement in sound.