Flatish response valve amp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

Flatish response valve amp

Post by jestaudio »

Anyone got some ideas or guidance for a scratchbuild single channel valve power amp, I,m thinking around the 20 watt mark, purposed for my small gig rig of (waits for the howls of derision) a floor based modeller, sadly the smaller pubs on the local gig circuit take a dim view of a Orange and Mesa iv twin rig :lol:
stephenl

Re: Flatish response valve amp

Post by stephenl »

My suggestion... Build whatever tube PA you like the sound of and add powerscaling/VVR.

For example, If you like tone of 4 x KT66's, use a 4kohm primary OT / 400v Va for 50watts and then use the powerscaling to set the output to the size of the venue. Then you have one amp that covers a range of venue sizes. It works well.
Steve
roberto

Post by roberto »

Otherwise go for a really small power amp (EG the 1 W range, the ones with reverb-like OTs, like the Anderton '64 Marshall JTM145 I've opened the thread on in the Marshall section, just flatter), add a simple power attenuator ot it, and reamp with a SS amp (like an ultimate attenuator, but way simpler). This way you'll be way lighter and the overall cost will be lower.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

You could also just get some form of power brake/reactive load and reduce the output of the big rigs, unless they're just dumb and see a big amp and run away :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

The overall volume is not a issue, simply a case of room in the venues, I may have a play with the Rockster layout, I built one years ago and loved it with pedals