Ceriatone OTS Mini Build Help

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Probably_not_Famous

Ceriatone OTS Mini Build Help

Post by Probably_not_Famous »

First time posting on the forum. I've recently bought a kit from Nik in an attempt to get into amp building. I don't really have much experience, but i've always been interesting in learning. I went with an OTS Mini, thinking it would be a challenge, yet still manageable. Long story short, I am not having any luck getting guitar signal through it, let alone any noise at all. I've retraced my steps, and still haven't had much luck. I've decided it's time to get someone who knows what they're doing involved.

Can anyone here give some general ideas on how to troubleshoot where I've gone wrong? I realize there is a lot in there, and it's not a simple "tell me what I did wrong" kind of thing. Things I've tried so far...

-Switched primary OT wires (made a weird high-pitched tea-kettle type sound, still no guitar signal though) So I switched those back
-Plugged a cable into the in and out of the effects loop, suggested from research I've found online
-combed through the amp looking for bad solder joints
-retraced wires in an attempt to see if there going where they need to be.

I realize this picture doesn't help a lot (much respect to Nik for his skills building these amps as neat has he does). if there is a closer shot of any areas that you would like to see, I'd be happy to provide them.

I'm open to any and all suggestions

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Ceriatone OTS Mini Build Help

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That picture is pretty dark and hard to see, if you can take the same picture but with better lighting it may help. Also to help, a link to the schematic and layouts would make it easier. One thing you should do is take voltage measurements on all pins to see what they are and people can tell you pretty quickly if things seem wrong. One of the easiest places to make mistakes is actually the input jacks, triple check their wiring.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

First step is confirm DC voltages are within spec for each triode and the power tubes.

Simple signal tracing is helpful. Input a sine wave (smart phone is fine if you don't have a hardware function generator) at the input jack and follow it through the circuit.

But if you've already input a signal at the FX return jack, you know you've got issues in your phase inverter and power section.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

confirm that your input jack wiring is correct. I have found that a dead quiet amp can have its input signal being grounded out.
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

Is it just me, or does it seem that when somebody with no history here puts up an emergency post, there is a really good chance it's about a problem they're having with a fucking Ceriatone.

I got an idea.

Go to the Ceriatone site and ask.

Bob Simpson
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Bob Simpson wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:16 am Is it just me, or does it seem that when somebody with no history here puts up an emergency post, there is a really good chance it's about a problem they're having with a fucking Ceriatone.

I got an idea.

Go to the Ceriatone site and ask.

Bob Simpson
We were all newbies at some point.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Can't agree with sluckey more. Everyone starts somewhere.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

It's not the newbie part, it's the Nik/Ceriatone part. Try a search for those sentiments.

Well it's kind of a newbie part. A "Hi!, I'm Joe Blow from Lower BF Egypt and I bought the cheapest dreck kit I could get, why don't it work?", would go a long way.

If Nik had to take time and energy and money to support "his" products, he'd be out of business.
Which wouldn't hurt my feelings much.

At least when Marsh Amps sells a knockoff Ceriatone kit, they don't bother with support. That's kind of different.

Bob Simpson
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I put ceriatone boards in my latest build and I couldn't be happier. Time to learn to troubleshoot. Dont give up, and DON'T chock it up to inferior parts and give up. Stay the course and you will have a bitchin amp. The people here will help you. Good luck
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Bob Simpson wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 am It's not the newbie part, it's the Nik/Ceriatone part. Try a search for those sentiments.

Well it's kind of a newbie part. A "Hi!, I'm Joe Blow from Lower BF Egypt and I bought the cheapest dreck kit I could get, why don't it work?", would go a long way.

If Nik had to take time and energy and money to support "his" products, he'd be out of business.
Which wouldn't hurt my feelings much.

At least when Marsh Amps sells a knockoff Ceriatone kit, they don't bother with support. That's kind of different.

Bob Simpson
I'll take Nik any day over the several clowns that were/are members here at TAG that have screwed me out of money. I'm not defending his practices, but he has always replied back promptly to me and never screwed me unilke others that are lucky they are not on the side of a milk carton.

TM
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Voltage chart xls is below, there is no schematic only layout.
OTS_Lunchbox.jpg
OLunch_29B.jpg
OLunch_34B.jpg
OTS20.xls
I haven't built this kit yet but recently ordered one for a friend, put in tubes and bias for him and then he test drove it, sounded great. He is building his own cabinet head for it.

I will check your dark photo over and see if I spot anything.

Mark

Adjusted your photo.
6cwlhK2 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't understand the wiring on your bias pot at back right of chassis and layout.

Do those green wires on your bias pot go to bias circuit and the junction of the 220k/220K?
Probably_not_Famous

Post by Probably_not_Famous »

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm going to do a signal trace and double check the input jack wiring when I get home. I was kind of confused with that part when I was building it. The wiring diagram doesn't look like it matches the actual photos. Either that, or theres some stuff hidden that I can see in the pictures. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

I also don't think you're looking at the bias pot when you're referring to the green wires. I think you're actually looking at the OD Trim pot. The bias pot is located between the power and preamp tubes, pretty difficult to even see in my picture.

Not that I need to say this, but Nik has been great throughout this whole process. He's been quick to email back with any questions I've had, and I only have good things to say about him and his amps.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Maybe it's the dark image, or my old eyes, but many of the solder joints look starved.
The solder doesn't appear to flow smoothly from the lead to the hole. If this is how they actually look, I'd apply more heat to the lead and flow a little more solder.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I kinda thought the same, but also had a hard time being sure, I'd say adding more solder is definitely worth a try, but don't over do it either, too much just makes a mess and can end up bridging things you don't want. :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!