Overtone Special 50 build help

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mefgames

Overtone Special 50 build help

Post by mefgames »

I read over at TDPRI forum that this was the best place for info and help on building this kind of amp.

I'm just getting started on an OTS 50 watt build. This is my 4th tube build, so I'm still learning. Can someone explain how to mount the ground buss bar in place ? Is it attached to the chassis at any point ? Any help welcome.

I'm sure to have more questions as I progress, but this it for now.

Thx in advance

Mike
When you're in the top 2%, who cares about the other 95% ?
xtian

Re: Overtone Special 50 build help

Post by xtian »

Hi! Welcome.

There are as many ways to do a buss bar as there are builders.

I usually strip the insulation off 14ga copper wire, straighten it out, put a 90-degree bend toward the floor of the chassis, and anchor it to the chassis with a ground lug near the input jack.

Some of the pots will have ground wires, and I use 20ga solid wire to connect them to the buss, and that helps the buss stay in place. Keep the buss out of the way of the backs of the pots so it's still possible to swap the pots out later.

Cheers!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

I would go through the Dumble discussion and study all the pictures to get ideas. I like to mount the pots then hold the bus bar above them and mark all the lugs that get a ground lead. then I put it in my helping hands and solder some short leads on before I put it in the amp. Then I just run a wire to ground. I usually run mine to the star ground near the power supply. Probably several great ways to do it.
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

and once again.

Bob Simpson
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Bob Simpson wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 pm and once again.

Bob Simpson
???
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Another Ceriatone build Bob. :D

Got a great tip from a TAG builder years ago: put that buss wire into a drill, hold the other end with a pliers and gently twist the wire and it will straighten right out and look so much better in your build.

Mark
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Bob Simpson wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 pm and once again.

Bob Simpson
Bob,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of these forums, but I gathered they're for people to understand how amps work, how to build them, and learn to become better at that skill/art. (with a major focus on Dumble and TW types, which this amp is a clone of).

I detect a strong negative tone from you to people that just need help. The cause being that Ceriatone maybe isn't providing that for them is a very valid one, but not their fault. It seems to me that if you feel strongly about it, telling these people so doesn't inherently help them in any way. I suggest trying to either assist them or if you feel strongly against it due to your problems with Ceriatone, that you instead take that problem up with Ceriatone instead of making these people some kind of proxy. Just my 2c worth, and probably meaningless, but I personally would rather the tone here be more positive and helpful. I'm not sure if I'm alone in it, others can tell me, and if so I'll accept my point as invalid.

Please let me know if you feel otherwise and what I may be misunderstanding here.

Edit: forgot to finish my 'focus' parenthetical.
~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't care for the new forum, so much less building and more tech questions then should be needed. People do not research and study anymore.

If I had more will power I would stay the hell of this forum, but my enjoyment now days is surfing the net rather then bench time, woodworking or hot rods.

If you think Bob is being harsh you should have been hear years ago when the Ceriatone shit storm began. :D
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

This hobby has become insanely popular in the past few years. I agree on the research part, I did a lot of reading before I did much posting and I like to answer my own questions if I can. It sure is nice to have a warm welcome when you need help though.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

M Fowler wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:45 pm I don't care for the new forum, so much less building and more tech questions then should be needed. People do not research and study anymore.

If I had more will power I would stay the hell of this forum, but my enjoyment now days is surfing the net rather then bench time, woodworking or hot rods.

If you think Bob is being harsh you should have been hear years ago when the Ceriatone shit storm began. :D
I can absolutely understand what I gather is the frustration of the Ceriatone mess. If I gather what you're saying, this forum's intent was never to help new builders, only to discuss completed builds? IT seems to me that a ton of the content even going way back was people discussing how to get circuit N working better no? Right now I'm just trying to ask that the tone be a bit more civil I guess? If the overall community here prefers to not help new amp builders, I can post a message stating we're not available for that kind of Q&A and instead only focused on more advanced discussion? Maybe this is a good new topic in general to find out what we should be doing vs what we're currently doing?

I guess I should stop derailing this thread from the main question, but I've always just not commented on things I don't care about, avoiding them like the plague on any forum I frequent. as this is a commonality to every forum I've been on, some people talk about what they want, not what the forum is in theory for...

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
drew

Post by drew »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm

I can absolutely understand what I gather is the frustration of the Ceriatone mess. If I gather what you're saying, this forum's intent was never to help new builders, only to discuss completed builds?
No, that's not it. The guys that were using this forum to share Dumble information in the early days were not doing so with the intention of helping set someone up in business to mass-produce Dumble clones and kits, and certainly did not appreciate buyers of those kits attempting to use this forum as a kind of "Ceriatone Help Desk" when the guy making the money off those kits could not be bothered to provide such a service.
mefgames

Post by mefgames »

At the time of my posting, I was completely unaware of the Ceriatone mess, as it has been referred to. I see in the sub header of this forum," a tube amp builder's community ", which I am trying my best to become a better member of. My query was, as I said prompted by a fellow TDPRI member who stated he had been helped a great deal on some builds, of which a couple of C-builds were included on this forum. As to researching and studying prior to a build, I am always cognizant of the paralyzation due to over-analyzation factor, so nothing gets built. That being said, sometimes you just have to learn as you go. I don't have any local sources for this kind of info, so these forums are my go to library. Again if the C word is a hot button for some folks here, I was not aware.

Mike
When you're in the top 2%, who cares about the other 95% ?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think the frustration is that Ceriatone have built a large share of their business from the information that was originally shared on this site, but they don't seem to answer/help anyone who buys the kits.
Probably the main reason why nothing is publicly shared now :cry:

Aaron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Aaron wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:09 am I think the frustration is that Ceriatone have built a large share of their business from the information that was originally shared on this site, but they don't seem to answer/help anyone who buys the kits.
Probably the main reason why nothing is publicly shared now :cry:
Ceriatone is not the only one. Marsh was here a couple of years ago asking questions too. A few boutique amp builders I could name have also turned up here and shortly thereafter started offering D-style amps. With one or two rare exceptions, none of these folks has contributed anything to the forum, and why would they? They'd be undercutting their own business and informing their competitors.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

M Fowler wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:45 pm I don't care for the new forum, so much less building and more tech questions then should be needed. People do not research and study anymore.

We think alike!

TM