Gibson Falcon Footswitch Wiring

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

beatsfart47

Gibson Falcon Footswitch Wiring

Post by beatsfart47 »

Anybody tackle one of these? I picked up a Gibson Falcon 19RVT-no foot switch. Footswitch wire is 4 conductor-red-white-black-shield. Schematic? :?
martin manning

Re: Gibson Falcon Footswitch Wiring

Post by martin manning »

Google is your friend: http://archive.gibson.com/Files/schematics/GA-19RVT.pdf If you have the foot switch cable and lack the box and switches, I'd say black is ground, the other two are reverb and trem. Reverb switch is open for "on" and connected to black for "off. The trem switch is the opposite. The shield should be grounded to the chassis with the reverb pan's output jack.

See foot switch diagram here: http://archive.gibson.com/Files/schematics/GA-20RVT.jpg
beatsfart47

Post by beatsfart47 »

Thank you. Very helpful.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Some may think my remark on this topic is sacrilegious. I'm reasonably certain the DIN type plug used by Gibson is no longer available. Since you don't have the foot switch, you may want to convert the connection to a commonly available 5-pin DIN plug. You should be able to use it with any generic 2 button foot switch. You can use the 4-wire scheme and omit one pin. I don't know if you decide to be a wise-guy and run separate shields (connect to the same pin) for each function whether it will introduce hum. I'd stick to the original design. The sacrilegious part of this is that it is likely you will have to drill the chassis to enlarge the connector hole. But, I think you'll be much better off. The new DIN plug will connect and disconnect with comparative ease. The existing arrangement requires some finesse and a good hard pull to disconnect. I know. I have two Gibson amps from this era.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

DIN connectors are alive and well in configurations from 1 to 19 pins. Mouser stocks 20 Standard (meaning not MINI) 4-pin DIN plugs. AFAIK, as long as they aren't of the MINI DIN variety, they are all the same size. Here is the search result for the 20 plugs available at Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circul ... ricing%7C0

However some of these 20 seem to have a very shallow engagement, and I suspect they are designed to be mated with a free-hanging rather than panel-mount receptical. Probably better to stick with the ones that look like this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amp ... aBt2OwE%3d
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
beatsfart47

Post by beatsfart47 »

I should have noted the cable came with no pin. Just cable. I'll work something out with the 3 wires and shield and two simple footswitches and the diagarm provided earlier.

Thanks for the help.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Not sure what you are saying about the cable and I didn't realize what you have. If you have the plug at the amp end and it plugs into the chassis OK, I'd leave that alone. The foot switch end is hard wired into the housing. So, if they just cut free the foot switch, you should be able to make it work with any generic (and inexpensive) two button foot switch. I was thinking you had nothing to work with and just the old plug receptacle at the chassis end.
beatsfart47

Post by beatsfart47 »

No receptacle at all, wire goes directly into the chassis. Looks like it was re-wired. No receptacle, no plug, just wire. Ill make do with a simple two button.

Thanks all for the help!!
beatsfart47

Post by beatsfart47 »

Well upon further review the footswitch I have is 3-wire. Red Black White- 2 foot switches 6 lugs each. The amp wire is 4 wire-red white black and shield.

Looks like a real hack job on the interior. :|

Lots of fun to restore!

IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

With the foot-switch bottom cover off, and the switches towards you, reading right to left (reverb)1) White, 2 shield which jumps to the center tab and continues to the other switch center tab.(Vibrato) black then red. or red than black to lazy to look! :D jumpers are your friend.