Bogner Modded Marshall 1987

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sonicmojo

Bogner Modded Marshall 1987

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted per request from Bogner....
Last edited by sonicmojo on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
---------
Bryan
mhartman

Re: Bogner Modded Marshall 1987

Post by mhartman »

Awesome. Thanks for posting!
Deric

Post by Deric »

mhartman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 am Awesome. Thanks for posting!
Indeed! Thanks for the share!

8)
Deric®
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted.
Last edited by sonicmojo on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
---------
Bryan
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

sonicmojo wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:51 pm I've picked up this '71 Marshall 50 from my friend who had it modded by Reinhold Bogner in the 90s. It is a very interesting sounding amp, very high gain and nice overtones, not very noisy. There is only one operable input and vol2 acts as gain with vol1 as master (pre tone stack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With out the grid stopper it may seem low noise .....but add it... and it will be very noisy. Boogie does this trick also....
That master is after the tone stack not pre tone stack......cool amp tho.....even cooler that Paul used it ....what recording did he use it on?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sonicmojo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:02 am It has an interesting grounding scheme using the shield from the coax on both ends and using the middle pole of the 9 pin sockets as a junction. Everything grounds back to the buss bar through the pots. The original 68K grid resistors are still there but not connected so no grid stopper at all.
Interesting, I thought Merlin always said that creating a ground on both ends of a signal lead is bad as it creates a path for signal loops. I'd always grounded the end nearest the input and left the side at the tube grid ungrounded.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted.
Last edited by sonicmojo on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Bryan
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

oh that's nice, so all the grounds use that same shield from the socket area back. gotcha.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
stiltamp

Post by stiltamp »

Thanks for sharing!
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted.
Last edited by sonicmojo on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Bryan
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted.
Last edited by sonicmojo on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Bryan
Plexified

Post by Plexified »

That's a significant amp if you can get documentation! I think its plausible , because I saw Paul play with Mr. Big in the Stone Pony in New Jersey around that time and I got to hang with them for a while after the show. I knew Billy Sheehan from a friend ( the Bass player ) and he introduced us. I had a great time and I was joking with Paul about , so... "what do you do with your time when your not collecting comic books and playing Atari?" ,Oh, " and watching cartoons and stuff" . He got a kick out of it , Cause it was true! Back then at GIT school he was a guitar nerd. You know no drugs and chicks n stuff. BUT anyway , he had this hyper protective case that housed his small chassis vintage Marshall. And it never left his side. Back then everybody had modded Marshalls , but he was obsessing over this thing being in 'HIS CARE" at all times. I would be easy for me to put two and two together. It was either his own , or on loan and someone elses , either way it was on lockdown like it was the nuclear code briefcase. I even pulled his chain about that , asking if he would mind if I plugged in for a few 'strums' he he . We laughed a lot that night. Great player and really fun guy , btw my avatar is a take off on his tune 'Scarified'. Its a good feeling ripping on that tune. Call up Reihardt Bogner or write him if you can and tell him you have Pauls demo mod amp that he played through. He will ask you some questions about it , but he will send you a letter , even exchange pics , well worth doing. David
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

Deleted.
---------
Bryan