Pignose G40V tone nuance question...

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stevem

Re: Pignose G40V tone nuance question...

Post by Stevem »

I have the Anatek, the kit model and it took me all of 1 hour to build it .
Very cost effective in that form!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I have the Anatek, the kit model and it took me all of 1 hour to build it .
Very cost effective in that form!

Also note that I have made a mistake in telling you I did the mod on the Blue guitar site, I did not do those on mine and I can not recall what site I got them from .
I do have the info stored away at home and I will dig it out tonight for ya!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The mod to do on the gv40 is very simple it involes changing one resistor ( r17 ) from its 100k 1/2 watt rating to a 22k 1 watt, then changing V2 to a 12at7 so that stage will now saturate longer before it goes into hard clipping.

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I got this one due to Uncle Doug's recommendation Anatek Blue:

https://www.ebay.com/i/181463391631?chn=ps&dispItem=1

But I hear others speak highly of the peak:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peak-Atlas-ESR7 ... 1463391631

I am just grabbing those, they may not be the very best prices, just wanted to show you the actual meters.
tUber Nerd!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Also take note that these amps have no input resistor into the first gain stage so adding even a 33K is a good idea to cut radio pick up.

chikov

Post by chikov »

Stevem wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am Also take note that these amps have no input resistor into the first gain stage so adding even a 33K is a good idea to cut radio pick up.
I am sorry for the delay with my responce - had a super busy week at work. Here is what I did on that amp- I did install 18K grid resistor on V1a and I did bump Cathode cap on V1B from 0.047 to 0.068 uf - it did help to soften an overdrive and the clipping of the sine wave on the second grid went away. I also built adjustable Bias circuit and the owner of the amp had a blast playing with the tone variations that we were getting out of it. I will attach the photo of my bias circuit:
I also changed the first tube from 12ax7 to 12at7 and it also helped to control some of the dirt that the amp was making at low volume before. Thank you guys for all the help. Now I need to buy me a Birthday present (aug 15th I turn 45 yo). I am thinking about getting ESR meter - crazy, hah?
I need to study more on trouble shooting with the scope, but not today :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

So you now have a 1 ohm 1% 2 watt resistor in series to ground off of each pin 8 to measure current?

chikov

Post by chikov »

Stevem wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 am So you now have a 1 ohm 1% 2 watt resistor in series to ground off of each pin 8 to measure current?
On all the amps that I built I do have them, but on this one I did not install them. I just used the resistance of the OT primary and its voltage drop to calculate the current drawn. I do know that those 1ohm resistors is the way to go, but I did not feel I needed to mess with it in this case.