Custom DIY Dual Potentiometer Values

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Custom DIY Dual Potentiometer Values

Post by RockinRocket »

Can a CTS or Alpha dual potentiometer be opened and switch out the elements with other values from single potentiometers?
I've only purchased PEC duals for PPIMVs so I have know experience with openable pots.
Thanks
Jered

Re: Custom DIY Dual Potentiometer Values

Post by Jered »

Some can. I think RG has a tutorial on his website about switching out the wafers. It might be at www.geofex.com and look for "the secret life of pots"
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I've swapped the back pot on an Alpha. Funny story. I bought an older analog scope on eBait some years ago. The yo-yo seller packed it badly and one of the pots was damaged. That pot was made of unobtainium. I finally figured out that I could buy a couple of Alpha's on the cheap, swap the back pot and then I'd have a replacement. It worked very well and it was easy to do. The only thing is that it doesn't match the one on the other side. :oops:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Phil_S wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 pm I've swapped the back pot on an Alpha. Funny story. I bought an older analog scope on eBait some years ago. The yo-yo seller packed it badly and one of the pots was damaged. That pot was made of unobtainium. I finally figured out that I could buy a couple of Alpha's on the cheap, swap the back pot and then I'd have a replacement. It worked very well and it was easy to do. The only thing is that it doesn't match the one on the other side. :oops:
Well you could have done the other pot too. :roll:
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Yeah...in this case I made a decision that I wouldn't fix it 'til it was broken. You are unfamiliar with my track record in this area and you can't imagine how much effort it was to restrain myself. :)