Sovtek Mig 50 donar

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

studiodunn

Sovtek Mig 50 donar

Post by studiodunn »

I was just given this amp from a friend I do work for and was looking for project opinions.
I originally was planning on just giving the amp an overhaul, but after removing the filter caps and pots I noticed the screen resistors were burnt......one dead, lots of crappy wiring and the traces will lift if looked at wrong.
All this leads me to wanting to just clean it out and start fresh.

So what says the knowledge base here? You've got a great skeleton, a PT putting out 540v and not allot of real estate......go!

Wrong area........sorry folks. Mods please move this to where is belongs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Sovtek Mig 50 donar

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Moved, the schematic doesn't seem to show what the output tubes are, but you've got a PT and OT that can handle 3 preamp tubes and a pair of something (EL34?). If it's EL34's go for a plexi or some similar variant, if it's 6L6 or 6V6 type, do a fender, or a tweedle dee deluxe or something similar, the sky's the limit! :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

If the PT delivers over 500V B+, you won't want to run 6L6s (as its best to keep them under the 500V mark). KT77s or EL34s or 807s (different pin-out plus plate cap plugs needed) would work, or if you can find some good NOS 7027A (which is like a high-voltage 6L6). KT77s are high voltage tubes like EL34s, but need about twice the reflected load that EL34s do. KT77s and EL34s also need lower screen voltages and/or typically larger Rg2 (1k to 2k2, instead of 470R)
Last edited by tubeswell on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

This amp used 5881 tubes that were Russian military spec. and not the same as the 6L6's that we are used to.

R7.1, R40 and R41 frequently burn. I kind of suspect it is caused by using the wrong tubes.

These are pretty cool, really tough amps that are just loud as hell and yours looks in pretty good shape to me. The circuit boards are real PCB's (as opposed to Chinese PCB's) and I've never had any trouble with the traces. They seem to be a little bit rare and they have some demand for them.

I notice you have the varistors on the power tube sockets instead of the diodes that some MIG 50's have. I have never gotten my hands on one that had varistors and I was wondering if you could get the numbers off of them and tell me.

The schematic you posted is wrong. That schematic got out there in general circulation and I don't think it is ever going away. If I can get a correct one onto this computer, I will try to upload it here for you.
Ten Over

Post by Ten Over »

First attempt at uploading a file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Gotta love those weird Ass Russky filters ,no?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Stevem wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 am Gotta love those weird Ass Russky filters ,no?
Kind of like spark plugs!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Ten Over wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 am This amp used 5881 tubes that were Russian military spec. and not the same as the 6L6's that we are used to.

R7.1, R40 and R41 frequently burn. I kind of suspect it is caused by using the wrong tubes.

These are pretty cool, really tough amps that are just loud as hell and yours looks in pretty good shape to me. The circuit boards are real PCB's (as opposed to Chinese PCB's) and I've never had any trouble with the traces. They seem to be a little bit rare and they have some demand for them.

I notice you have the varistors on the power tube sockets instead of the diodes that some MIG 50's have. I have never gotten my hands on one that had varistors and I was wondering if you could get the numbers off of them and tell me.

The schematic you posted is wrong. That schematic got out there in general circulation and I don't think it is ever going away. If I can get a correct one onto this computer, I will try to upload it here for you.

Thanks for the help.
Yes the amp had 6l6wXT tubes in it when I got it.

pic of the varistors.
IMG_1788 (2).JPG
That said, with the high voltage and 5881's, I think I'll dump the low input and try squeezing all I can from the amp. I attached a "fill in the blanks" version of the schematic for any interested in sharing ideas. Can I just take
R23 to pin 7 and start adjusting CF values to suit?
Sovtek MIG 50-007_config001.gif
thanks again
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

How does this look for a start?
Sovtek MIG 50-007_KK.jpg
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

That power Tranny may not output the needed extra 1 amp of filament current to power EL34 heaters !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

Stevem wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:03 am That power Tranny may not output the needed extra 1 amp of filament current to power EL34 heaters !
I was going to stick with 5881s.
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

So, I got the amp back together and it fired up..............no smoke! Big deal for a hack like myself.

Now on to the modding
PT is putting out 460v / 565V on the screens.

How do I go about testing the PT to determine whether or not I can convert to el34s?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

You'd need to check if the transformer itself can handle the current requirements. See if you can get datasheets on the transformer. Look up the code on it and see if you can find anything.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
studiodunn

Post by studiodunn »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 pm You'd need to check if the transformer itself can handle the current requirements. See if you can get datasheets on the transformer. Look up the code on it and see if you can find anything.

~Phil
No way to measure that?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Sovtek Mig 50 donar

Post by pompeiisneaks »

studiodunn wrote:
pompeiisneaks wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:12 pm You'd need to check if the transformer itself can handle the current requirements. See if you can get datasheets on the transformer. Look up the code on it and see if you can find anything.

~Phil
No way to measure that?
Not easily, it's based upon the construction of the transformer, size of the gap, size/gauge of the windings etc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!