12v switching power supplies

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Rockwell666

12v switching power supplies

Post by Rockwell666 »

Hi folks, I was removing some old lights in our kitchen and discovered the kitchen lights are 12v halogens. I got 5 of these power supplies for 50w halogens.... I was thinking maybe a starved plate tube preamp or perhaps if a rectifier/ filter supply was included it could run some LED strips inside an amp... any thoughts or experience with these? dated 1991. I am such a cheapskate I hate throwing anything away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Re: 12v switching power supplies

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Switching supply and preamp level signals...maybe. If you keep the current demand low, the switching freq might not shift toward the audio range and cause aliasing.
You have he parts, give it a shot and let us know. Inquiring minds and all.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

50w/12v= 4.17 amps a 12ax7 draws .15 amps at 12~ volts so, enough filament voltage for 24.8 preamp tubes =)
Rockwell666

Post by Rockwell666 »

I had read somewhere that it depends on the load on these switching power supplies. So keeping current low should be ok.... I will do some playing and let you guys know.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

Not sure they put out DC :shock:
Many old designs generated relatively low frequency AC (still many kHz above audibility) and fed that straight to halogen filaments.
No problem for light bulbs, but can´t feed your Audio projects as-is, so check it first, and add rectification/filtering as needed.

EDIT: just enlarged the supply picture: it says so straight on the label: Output 12VAC, 20kHz :shock:
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969