SE Rocket/Torn Sun schematic...Help Please?!

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mjcopp

SE Rocket/Torn Sun schematic...Help Please?!

Post by Mjcopp »

I'm a first time poster attempting to build my first amp in a SE 6l6gc configuration. After studying articles and video for the past 6 months, I would really like to build the Torn Sun Dark Star Markll ( a SE Rocket) which was designed by sst4046 and featured on an oldèr post here in TAG. I have one problem, (so far) in understanding the schematic. V1a and V1b are clearly labelled. V2a is clearly labelled, but the 1/2 stage prior to it is not. Is this the same as the labelled V2a half? Or is this V2b? If so, why are the pins numbered the same (1-2-3)? I'm confused. If anyone can explain this I would be very grateful. Here is the link to the schematic. Thanks for any help.
20170901_113648.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: SE Rocket/Torn Sun schematic...Help Please?!

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That's got to be an error, it would be either V2b and use 6,7,8 pins or they accidentally marked them both wrong and that one that's unlabelled is V2a and pins 1,2,3 and the second should be V2b with 6,7,8. Basically you wouldn't want to use half a triode on two separate tubes. That amp needs just two preamp tubes, so that should be just as above. I'm not sure if it would matter either way, but basically choose one to be V2a and use 1,2,3 on it, and the other be V2b and 6,7,8

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Mjcopp

Post by Mjcopp »

Thanks Phil...I thought as much but being a complete novice, wasn't sure. You put my mind at ease. On with the project!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Mjcopp wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 pm why are the pins numbered the same (1-2-3)? I'm confused.
20170901_113648.jpg
Could be that the builder used that particular side of a dual triode for that gain stage, and the '6,7,8' side is unused or used on some other gain stage elsewhere in the amp that is not shown in that schematic, or the person who drew the schematic copied and pasted the triode symbol one or two too many times without changing the pin numbering, or they wanted a 'left-hand' or 'right-hand' triode symbol for the part of the circuit they were drawing, and couldn't be bothered changing the pin numbering. Hard to say. Probably not worth analysing too much seeing as how its a guitar amp, and there's not really much difference between 1,2,3 sides and 6,7,8 sides in modern production tubes.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Only four triodes there... V1a and V1b are obviously the two sides of one twin triode, so the other two have to belong to the same bottle.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

Indeed. I should've looked more closely at the schematic.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
labb

Post by labb »

If this is your first build I would caution you to be very careful with the lay out for this amp...Take a look at this one. it might help you some. http://www.ax84.com/static/sel/AX84_SEL_101004.pdf