I just made my first ever video demo.
It's more difficult than I imagined.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqEMQP ... e=youtu.be
brewdude

Re: All 7 pin tube amp

Post by brewdude »

Second attempt at a demo.
https://youtu.be/7lTzMwUxbwc

Epiphone Riviera w/mini HB's plunged straight into the Gib'lette played thru a small open back cab w/ a very early 12" WGS V30 clone.
In the first part of the clip I tried to show the amps ability to play clean or overdriven by changing pick dynamics.

The rest, I wanted to demonstrate a feel for how the amp responds at different settings, while playing similar chords and riffs.

It seems to me that the automatic setting on the camera adjusted the record level such that it was difficult to get a sense of the difference in vol between high and medium VVR settings--perhaps, this illustrates the consistent "tone" through this region of the control--but, the lower settings definitely sound quieter on the recording.

I really enjoy this amp more and more every time I plug in.
Next thing to do is make a faceplate and build a suitable cabinet.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: All 7 pin tube amp—Video DemoClips Added 1/27/18

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Sounds great! Yeah for audio I always have to do separate audio and mix it back in with my video editing software or it would always be hard to get the sound right.

It's a lot of work doing the videos, so I know how you feel :D I've now got over 100 videos on my channel of various amp stuff, and it took me over 2 years to get there.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the encouragement.
I have no intention of becoming a YouTube presence... But, what a convenient way to share stuff.

Regarding the sound, I think the Zoom camera did ok with the audio (generally speaking), but I believe it may have been a more useful demo if the audio had been set manually such that it did not compensate for the changes in volume level due to the VVR settings. I think it does show that the tone stays mostly consistent through the bulk of the range.

Regarding the video, not terribly inspiring. It’s boring to watch. Can’t really see the amp very well. Hard to tell what knobs and switches are at what settings... oh well.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I know this thread is old and mostly forgotten...
However, I’m excited to have just received a custom made combo cabinet for this amp and wanted to share.

Tubes up, solid pine, two 8” Jupiter speakers (vertical) w/ “3D” style side ports.
It was ordered unfinished, so I have some decisions to make and work to do.

I put it together, and loaded it up to test it out. It sounds great (though, obviously not as deep as 12” speakers) and, man, does it send sound everywhere (except backwards).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice design! I listened to your video and that amp sounds really good. I really like the dynamics.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Nice cab! I like the side porting. Reminds me of those acoustasonic amps fender used to make.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks, I’m pleased with the amp and the cab... not so much with the old video clip. :wink: It’s much more difficult than I anticipated to do a good video demo. Perhaps, I can do another clip after I get the cab properly finished.

Regarding the finish, I’m toying with the idea of using a torch to roast the pine and then sand it back smooth followed by boiled linseed oil. I’m a bit nervous about the fact that the demos I’ve seen all do the flaming before assembly—will the heat effect the glued joints between boards?
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Likely not an issue. The surface of soft pine will char long before any heat can pass deep enough into the wood to affect the glue bond.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Thanks for the encouragement. If goes well, I will fire up the torch this weekend.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

Here is the finished cabinet.
AEBD80FD-0A80-4F48-8440-9A587454C6E8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

The roasting is fun but i gotta say i liked the clear pine look better. Just some clearcoat, maybe tinted just a tad.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:53 pm The roasting is fun but i gotta say i liked the clear pine look better. Just some clearcoat, maybe tinted just a tad.
I also like the clear pine. But, this was a fun learning experience and looks cool in its own way. I will play with this finishing technique again, perhaps on something unrelated to amps.