What kind of grease for pots

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

What kind of grease for pots

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hiya everyone,
i usually use alpha pots for my build, but they are always too loose for me, as in they don't require enough torque to turn, and they make a mechanical scratchy noise when they turn. I recently fiddled with a friedman amp and the pots just felt so good to turn. Is there any kind of grease i can put in these pots to make them feel nicer?
Thanks!
-Josh
Not really
sluckey

Re: What kind of grease for pots

Post by sluckey »

I use a lot of 24mm Alpha pots. Every one operates smoothly and do not have any mechanical noise. Feel very nice to me.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think the problem would be that any grease would potentially cause wiper contact failure, so no I wouldn't.

I too love the feel of my Alpha's, but over time they build up a bit of crud/dust and get the feel you're mentioning. Maybe the amp you're using is a bit older?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

DeOxIT Fader Lube might do the job for you, but it's not sprayable, because it's a grease, not an aerosol. You'd have to open the pots to put Fader Lube on the tracks.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

I think that the grease that affects the 'feel' of a pot is that between the shaft and bush. As such, it would be tricky to get some high viscosity grease in there, unless the pot was dismantled.
A lot simpler just to replace them with pots that you like :wink:
Though that may not end up being a cheap exercise.
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

The grease lies in the narrow space between shaft and bushing.

In principle any grease can do, I have even tried common red Lithium general purpose grease with good results, but it eventually it goes away (might be years later, depending on use), and found absolute best is a greenish "ball bearing" grease, you ask for it like that to a lubricant supplier and they will know what are you talking about, which is formulated to be very sticky and not go away even under lots of movement (what happens insie a ball bearing) , that has the right feel and lasts forever.

You have to partially disassemble the pot, move the threaded bushing forward and apply some grease to the shaft with a toothpick.
When you slide bushing back into position and re crimp pot case "ears" you get the grease where you want it.
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969