Toshiba 2SC4793 transistor vs NTE 2648 transistor

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SixStringBender

Toshiba 2SC4793 transistor vs NTE 2648 transistor

Post by SixStringBender »

Hello fellows, the Toshiba 2SC4793 is no longer made. At least that is what I have concluded. No retailers have it other than eBay sellers, and I don't know if I should trust them.

I crossed the Toshiba 2SC4793 to the NTE 2648. Does anyone have any experience with the NTE part?
R.G.

Re: Toshiba 2SC4793 transistor vs NTE 2648 transistor

Post by R.G. »

Well, there is no "the NTE part". NTE buys parts, then thinks of all the possible original type numbers they might replace, then lists them as a replacement. This is often OK, but may give problems in highly-particular application. Generally it works OK if not perfectly, and that's what NTE relies on. For this service, NTE charges you quite a lot more than the original part. Whether this is good or bad depends on whether you have a critical application, or non-demanding application and the money but not the time to go figure out the right replacement on your own. It's neither bad nor good, just an application of paying more for convenience and availability.

I'd be happy to try to look up newer power transistor part numbers for you. I'd need to see the circuit schematic to do a good job of this. Just off hand, the Sanken 2SC4883 and its complement the 2SA1859 are good possibilities.
SixStringBender

Re: Toshiba 2SC4793 transistor vs NTE 2648 transistor

Post by SixStringBender »

Thank you very much! You should have a PM, if I did it right.