Traynor YB1 Bass master conversion

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MikeR670

Traynor YB1 Bass master conversion

Post by MikeR670 »

Hi all

I built an express style amp recently from an old Garnet pa - was a hit with my bandmates and one has asked me to build him a replica. I don't think that's possible because I'd never find the same trannys, etc again.

But, he has an old YB1 Bass Master in good working condition. He doesn't like it, and its never been modded.

My question is whether to mod it the easy way to a Plexi type, or go further and try to "express" it?

What do you guys think? He really wants the grind controlled easily by guitar volume, and easy musical feedback that mine produces on demand.
Stevem

Re: Traynor YB1 Bass master conversion

Post by Stevem »

I would sell the Traynor to someone who wants it as is ( can't be too hard! ) and then buy something else as a foundation, or start from scratch.
I have used a 70s Univox 1-15" SS bass amp as a starting point for a build a few times and it cost me all of 30 bucks!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
didit

Post by didit »

Stevem wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 am I would sell the Traynor to someone who wants it as is ( can't be too hard! ) and then buy something else as a foundation, or start from scratch.
I have used a 70s Univox 1-15" SS bass amp as a starting point for a build a few times and it cost me all of 30 bucks!
Sound advice. Unmodified clean YBA1 selling price (CND$600-700) should fund most of parts BoM required to scratch up an Express or Liverpool clone.

That said, particularly for mk-II, these are quite easy to (re)work. Designed deliberately easy-to-service since the parent business, L&M, ran massive rental business in most major cities in Canada.
Various well-tested tweaks out there. Making some simple reversible changes would adjust the dynamics significantly. Tweaking the gain for & bypassing V2b, and perhaps tweaking the PI tail would be my recommended starting point.

Best .. Ian
MikeR670

Post by MikeR670 »

Great, thanks for the advice guys! I'll give him those options to chew over.....I'm kinda hoping he doesn't get too set on me building him one, as I'm not 100% sure of how I made mine turn out as well as it has🤔😐😉