Tone Stack Variations?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Re: Tone Stack Variations?

Post by xtian »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 pm My favorite Tone section is an amp with Volume control. My second choice is an amp with Volume and Tone controls.
Congratulations on taking over the Department of Insightful Comments from Mr. Reeltarded. :)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Mr. Lime

Post by Mr. Lime »

He's not totally wrong, as I prefer amps with just as much controls as needed to be versatile and controllable with any guitar for clean and lead as well. Every knob that is on the front that's not in use could be omitted which results in a nicer layout and smaller enclosure. The Cameron CCV for example has IMO tons of switches and unnecessary controls while the Mesa Mark series has a bunch of relays to switch between different cap values which I found also to be a bit over the top. A well designed amp needs none of this and can eventually go from clean to lead just with the turn of the gain pot. Sometimes global negative Feedback isn't needed at all to get a good range but some kind of tone section does no harm when it comes to changing guitar or music styles.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Well, I don't like playing with tone controls at all, but how can you manage with different guitars, pickups... otherwise - but by opening the amp and changing caps, etc?

:?

Plus some people do require a tone control for each channel - which might translate as another tone control for the overdrive -

At this point, I am rather curious at how far I can go with a just tilt control and a mid filter (as per Blencowe?)
Mr. Lime

Post by Mr. Lime »

I have used the tilt control and mid filter in a Roccaforte HG100 kind of preamp. It‘s got a nice range but sometimes gets muddy when the highs are cutted and the bass is pronaunced. Now a additional bright control compensates this. Independent bass and treble would be nice with that kind of mid cut. The Framus Dragon amps are basically SLO circuits with this mid filter and a James stack right after it.

A few posts before I attached this tone stack which should give similar curves but with treble and bass control instead of the tilt:
D167805E-A923-4125-B9C8-E2ED6856A7FC.jpeg
I haven‘t tried it yet but it‘s might a nice alternativ TMB stack with better sweeps than the claissc Marshall/Fender stacks.

Maybe I should try it soon in my preamp build..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think that the 'adjust for different guitars' is easy with an eq pedal usually, as far as I can think, you usually only need two or maybe 3 settings:

1. single coil
2. humbucker
3. active pickups

Those are the most drastically different sounding pickups I can think of and 3 is really usually a subset of 2 anyway, so an eq pedal dialed in for 2/3 you bring into the effects chain on guitar swap 'should' do it. That being said, I usually just have the amp set to be a bit harsh on my single coils and dial back the tone pot on the guitar a touch until it comes in well, and then just plug the humbucker in straight with tone at max. Maybe I suck :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Of course, an EQ pedal...
Mr. Lime wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm I have used the tilt control and mid filter in a Roccaforte HG100 kind of preamp. It‘s got a nice range but sometimes gets muddy when the highs are cutted and the bass is pronaunced. Now a additional bright control compensates this. Independent bass and treble would be nice with that kind of mid cut. The Framus Dragon amps are basically SLO circuits with this mid filter and a James stack right after it.

A few posts before I attached this tone stack which should give similar curves but with treble and bass control instead of the tilt:

I haven‘t tried it yet but it‘s might a nice alternativ TMB stack with better sweeps than the claissc Marshall/Fender stacks.

Maybe I should try it soon in my preamp build..
Thank you very much for the information about the tilt contro! I look forward to reading about your experiment.