Gibson Mercury Medalist

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

Gibson Mercury Medalist

Post by Guy77 »

Hi. I have a friend who just bought a Gibson Mercury Medalist amp ( Rumoured to be named after the rockets in the NASA space program). It is identical to the photo attached here. The channel on the right with no effects gets nice and loud as one would expect from a dual 6L6 amp. When I plugged into the channel on the left that has the tremolo effect the amp does not get very loud its like when your TV is turned on full volume. It sounds half as loud as the channel with no effects. The tone is great, there is no unusual hiss or noise. Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with these amps and if this is just how they were built.

Cheers
Happy Holidays everyone!

f3F33L33J95Kc5F95M2d5kc008838b6c6f16d7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: Gibson Mercury Medalist

Post by sluckey »

The two channels are identical (except for the trem LDR). I would expect them to have equal volume when working properly.
Guy77

Re: Gibson Mercury Medalist

Post by Guy77 »

sluckey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 pm The two channels are identical (except for the trem LDR). I would expect them to have equal volume when working properly.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Cheers