SLuckley's Revibe. un buffered FX loop

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: SLuckley's Revibe. un buffered FX loop

Post by norburybrook »

Steve,

How does the revibe behave in front of the amp when you're using an overdriven sound ?

Marcus
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I really can't say. I've never used it with my dirty amps mainly because I've never cared for reverb with overdrive. My revibe has always been used with clean Fendery or Ampegish amps.

There are quite a few Revibe owners over at Hoffman's forum (including Doug). They may be able to answer that question. Surely better than I just did. :mrgreen:
didit

Post by didit »

sluckey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:10 pm All my drawings are created using Visio. I can make the original Visio file available if you like. The complete 10Meg file contains drawings that are not included in the pdf that may be of interest if you are redesigning. Or I can provide only the much smaller Visio schematic.
[...]
Thanks Steve. Was guessing that that might be your answer. My compute boxes are all Apple, and so reluctantly gave up on Visio about 7 years ago. Maintaining Windows installed in an anemic VM way too tiresome. Have yet to find a functional equivalent, but last serious search was at least a few years ago. Will check whether some usable & compatible tool has emerged. Should I find something, will gratefully accept your kind offer.

With what little attention I'd given so far, my thoughts were similar in some respects. Reverb really doesn't require two triodes before the tank driver. I might substitute tried & tested 6BM8 as sufficient and efficient. A 6V6, and even 6K6, is excessive to drive power requirements. When set up for parallel, the vibrato can share the input buffering/gain stage, but requires it's own separate level ("dwell") control at input. Would as you've said, tweaking necessary to normalize for common level required for each path when in parallel that also works in series.

My rough thought on the input and output was to wrap a dumbleator circuit around this somewhat modified/simplified 6Gxx reverb & vibrato with some switching to allow cascaded or paralleled. If it's companion to an ODS as Marcus & I are looking for this seems te straightforward. Search turned up this basic design shared by Gary Johnson (Glasman) and seems a worthwhile starting point -- Rev-A-Loop. Whether to bother with the parallel additional loop he included is something to consider, but likely I wouldn't bother.

Will continue with research more later. Building the ODS will start soon on my bench, perhaps even next week. Had been tempted to embed active loop but going with passive is now the plan. All of this exploration is well ahead of having a finished amp, onto which reverb and vibrato will be desired addition.

Best .. Ian
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

The best schematic app I've seen on mac is jschem, there's a post over at the hoffman forums by the guy that wrote it and he recently updated it again to work well with the latest macos etc.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:09 pm The best schematic app I've seen on mac is jschem, there's a post over at the hoffman forums by the guy that wrote it and he recently updated it again to work well with the latest macos etc.

~Phil
Thanks. Yes, it's fine. Used it for a few projects. Started working a bit with KiCad recently. Too soon to have a firm opinion. However, neither has file-exchange compatible with Visio.

Best .. Ian
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Ian.

I have a dumbleator so If it needs that to control levels etc then it's no big deal for me. It would be great though if it worked straight in the loop as it would be one less thing to carry to a small gig.

I should have perhaps built an ODS with an active loop for this very reason.

Perhaps that will be my last 'Dumble' build :D it's ironic that I bought one of taylors MK II chassis that don't have the extra pre amp valve for this purpose :D i can always drill a hole I suppose.

Marcus
didit

Post by didit »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:23 am I have a dumbleator so If it needs that to control levels etc then it's no big deal for me. It would be great though if it worked straight in the loop as it would be one less thing to carry to a small gig.

I should have perhaps built an ODS with an active loop for this very reason.

Perhaps that will be my last 'Dumble' build :D it's ironic that I bought one of taylors MK II chassis that don't have the extra pre amp valve for this purpose :D i can always drill a hole I suppose.
Hmm ---

Yeah, minimizing boxes is good. Working now with the four hole chassis from Taylor. I've been back & forth on the extra socket. Take it for a loop, or a post-PI driver a la SSS & others. Or leave it empty, at least initially. Empty initially and then the driver is my tentative decision. This is my learning phase on ODS and things Dumble. I need to hear, touch and test before understanding will sink in.

Gather from reading passive loops are more common, so one box as companion to the head currently under construction flexible for reuse with other amps seems a good option. Had been researching reverb as the main "looped" effect. Thread was almost timely but as mentioned, a bit too ahead of actual progress for me to have well developed plans. Eventually will do a reverb+vibrato wrapped with the buffering for a passive loop. When I get to layout anticipate sketching as two independent boards to see if that makes sense for construction. At current rate of progress, April or May soonest.

Best .. Ian