My latest product

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sepulchre

My latest product

Post by sepulchre »

This is the prototype of the latest from Activax. It's called the Coyote but I think the name will change, I don't know, maybe the Hornet? (suggestions would be appreciated)

It's a twin EL84 that as a rather different tone system on it. I'm sure there's a name for it but it escapes me right now. Anyway, it pretty much kicks ass IMHO. The industrial look is due to the prototype nature of this one, but it has grown on me so the production model may share the look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shupe13

Re: My latest product

Post by shupe13 »

sepulchre wrote:This is the prototype of the latest from Activax. It's called the Coyote but I think the name will change, I don't know, maybe the Hornet? (suggestions would be appreciated)

It's a twin EL84 that as a rather different tone system on it. I'm sure there's a name for it but it escapes me right now. Anyway, it pretty much kicks ass IMHO. The industrial look is due to the prototype nature of this one, but it has grown on me so the production model may share the look.
Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
xtian

Post by xtian »

Schematic?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

The Sing Sing.

Also reminds me of that country bar scene from the Blues Brothers....good bottle deflector.
---------
Bryan
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Also reminds me of that country bar scene from the Blues Brothers....good bottle deflector.

lol - yes that's a good one, I laugh every time I picture that scene in my head........ the bottle deflector
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I like that utility look! I did something similar two years ago. I was converting a Hammond AO-63 and had screwed a couple pieces of plywood to the ends to act as a cheap chassis stand. Toward the end of the project I needed a way to mount the reverb tank so I added a board across the top to mount the tank. The look kinda grew on me an it morphed into the utilitarian style I ended up with. Fun project.

http://sluckeyamps.com/hammond_2/hammond2.htm
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Whaouh! (as the french say) That's something special 8)

Big muff tone stack (with presence control)?
sluckey wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:10 pm I did something similar ...

http://sluckeyamps.com/hammond_2/hammond2.htm
Oh yes! Nice Hampeg :mrgreen:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That looks like the People amp being sold a few years back.
DSCF1690.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Finally got it finished. Good thing I got pictures - it's already sold!

sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

That was just the prototype. I tossed it together to see how it would do and it sold right away.
Here's the full on production model: the Activax - A20 Coyote. It sounds really nice and is plenty loud enough for most clubs. This is the "Cage" style. It also comes in a "Hanging" style in a cab with the controls across the top.
Activax Amplification
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Here's a gut shot.
Activax Amplification
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Smart designed board looks good.

On the cabinet diamond grille, too bad the sides aren't solid for mounting but that would require flat stock with cutout diamond shapes to do that or weld sold flat stock to the ends of that diamond grille for better mounting. Just my 2 cents for improvement.

Mark
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

The design is interesting!

I've been thinking about a screwed through metal strip, to cover the edge of the grill - as an option - but, as usual, writing is easy ...
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

My head is hurting from trying to work out the tone / scoop control circuit :?
Could you provide a bit more detail of it?
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Mr. Fowler - I'm not sure exactly what you mean but across the top, where the handle mounts, there are 2 straps of 1/8" X 3/4" steel that connect the sides together. It's plenty solid. To get into it there are pocket screws on the bottom. Loosen them and the whole top, cage and sides come off.

pd64 - It's not your normal tone setup. The "Tone" control goes from boosted Bass with no Treble to boosted Treble with no Bass, which is kind of odd but is easy to use once you're used to it. The "Scoop" control goes from Mid boost to the Scoop - lots of highs and bass with few mids. Again, it seems odd but is easy to get used to it.

Mainly, this amp goes from very clean to nearly a high gain sound - tons of crunch that sounds to me like a cross between a Dumble and a TW. It takes pedals well too. I use a Jetter GS124 and a Simble Overdrive and it sounds Great with or without them. This one is an A-20 Coyote but the same preamp is in the Harlow so it has the sound too, just not as loud - a nice practice amp, though a friend did use one in a smallish club and said it preformed just fine - didn't even turn it all the way up (about 11:30 he said).

So I'm Very pleased with this one. One guy wants me to make it a combo with reverb. Sounds fun!
Activax Amplification