60/40 solder. What brand

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: 60/40 solder. What brand

Post by norburybrook »

After a similar recommendation I purchased a roll of Kester solder for my first proper build..........it changed my soldering life in an instant. Lovely shiny joints everytime :D

so another big +1 for Kester.

M
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I'm really liking that Kester.

This stuff is a lot less toxic than that Radio Shack brand if breathed and the flux's smoke are easier on the eyes :mrgreen: .
Pierre

Re: 60/40 solder. What brand (what dia.?)

Post by Pierre »

What diameter solder is everyone using? I too started with some big fat radio shack solder. When I ran out I picked up some really thin .025 MG 63/37 solder thinking it would be more precise. A few years later, I'm not so sure.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Kester .31 is my favorite but I am using .44 right now but feels too thick but it covers the eyelets nicely.

Mark
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Cool! Thanks Mark, I'll give that a try.
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

va3dxv wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:12 pm
mwelch55 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm I have also used Radio Shack solder and it was good too.

Mike
You must mean the earlier stuff from RS? ...or maybe the batch I got was bad. I got a bunch of rolls from a closing store in Myrtle Beach for dirt cheap, It always cures very dull and dirty looking.

I threw it in the junk drawer and use MG Chem Sn63/Pb37 with great results.
The flux in Radio Shack solder was junk, useless.

Kester and Ersin Multicore have flux that works.
didit

Post by didit »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm Kester .31 is my favorite but I am using .44 right now but feels too thick but it covers the eyelets nicely.
Fold a few inches of .31 up once or twice and larger gaps fill nicely.

Best ..Ian
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Kester, Multicore, Stannol - any classic brand will do. 60/40 or 63/37 doesn't really matter in practice. Even if there is an environmental question involved, I'd stay away form the modern lead free solders for hand soldering. ( I've been doing this for a living for 40yrs++ )
Just make sure you have n iron with enough capacity and correct tips. Those puny little 30Ws are not up to soldering larger contact, switches etc etc
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Just swapped to a fresh roll last week... This is what I use and how it's mounted. 20ga shotgun she'll for the lip to secure the spool, a 7/16 deep well socket to support inside the shotgun shell, a 10-24 bolt and tee nut to mount to the bench. Spool turns freely with just the right amount of drag. Simple, yet effective. I've been using this for years now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo