OD tone stack alternatives?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

OD tone stack alternatives?

Post by ChopSauce »

Just out of curiosity: some people do not like very much the HRM tone stack but the consensus seems to be that an additional tone stack for the OD section is a must have, so...

... nobody ever experimented with (example given:) a Baxandall - or something else - in an OD section?
10thTx

Re: OD tone stack alternatives?

Post by 10thTx »

I have wondered about a James tone stack in an OD section also because of how much the mids can "appear" to be boosted or scooped.

In my two D-inspired amps, this is what I am doing. One uses a pseudo 5E3 tone stack (sort of) & in the other one, I found the tone stack worked MUCH better
between gain stages then after the 2nd OD gain stage.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I had drawn this up a few months ago but I have not gotten around to trying it.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

In Merlin's book he uses the Vox tone controls in one of his designs and a separate mid control. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to.
ChopSauce

1000 thx to both of you!

Post by ChopSauce »

Well, I already tried some Vox TS & I am really pleased with it, but I would like to try something else, now.

Especially for some kind of OD section, in addition to a three pots ++ switches Dumble-sque TS, I would like the tone stack to be kept minimal and yes - thanks (again) 10thTx - I have been very much inspired by your schematics.

In addition, does anyone know something about the Moonlight TS http://monster.partyhat.co/article/ampl ... #moonlight

which is claimed to be less bright than the tweed one?

I could not find any samples for it.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

Just replace the 25k mid pot in the original tone stack with something larger, e.g. 100k audio. Up to about 10 o'clock similar to stock, from there on you will get a substantial midboost (really less mid cut).

Cheers Stephan
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Mmmmh. That seems more clever than I thought firstly. Bravo!

I wish I could hear how it sounds 8)
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Careful though as this reduces the effectiveness of the bass control A LOT. Just look on the Duncan Tone Stack Calculator
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

I came up with quirky experimental 'Bench' tonestack that I thought might be cool as a HRM replacement.

Like i said very quirky. It's intentionally designed to get unique mid hump/dips that are inachievable with the typical FMV tonestacks. Controls are extremely interactive and can achieve many different EQ shapes, on paper. I've never done any testing on it, though. Probably needs a bit more fine tuning.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
ChopSauce

Thx!

Post by ChopSauce »

8)

I am re-reading Merlin's book, upon Littlewyan's suggestion, and it is interesting to see that all you wrote makes even more sense afterwards: putting the tone stack at the late stages - being more effective, the tuning of the TMB... I am just missin the 'Bench' tonestack.

I am curious at how it sounds - but I am dubious seeing the artifacts it seems to create, in the frequency shape.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

10thTx wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:08 am I had drawn this up a few months ago but I have not gotten around to trying it.

With respect, 10thtx
The James or Bandaxall tone stacks are a heavy load, especially from a plate driven source. More gain might be needed to drive the 5879 to effective levels as a hot channel.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

A Mosfet follower, maybe?
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

A little crazy but, this tube driven graphic EQ in the studio bass would be pretty cool if you're trying to do something a little out of the box
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them