Peavey Valve King 112 Humming from the speaker?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Emetal

Peavey Valve King 112 Humming from the speaker?

Post by Emetal »

I have on my hands a Peavey Valve King 112 that has a humming noise coming from the speaker after few minutes when it worms up, this is the funny part: it's only humming in normal position, if I turn the combo on the side or upside-down there is NO humming, everything is perfect! I am in the process of resoldering all the joints just in case that there is a loose connection, but I would appreciate if anybody has any idea or had any similar experience.. what could be wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emetal

Re: Peavey Valve King 112 Humming from the speaker?

Post by Emetal »

Well, I have loosen up the screws that hold the amp chassis fixed to the wooden enclosure and the humming has stopped. I am not really proud of the solution but I could not find anything else wrong with the amp.. As long as nobody sits on it or put something heavy on it, the amp is working perfectly good.
Phil_S

Re: Peavey Valve King 112 Humming from the speaker?

Post by Phil_S »

This is good! You found the problem. It wasn't the amp, it's the cabinet! This is what's I'd do. Apply some foam tape to insulate the chassis from the cabinet or use rubber washers. Then make the screws tight. Use longer screws if you need to. I would not leave the screws loose. Eventually, the screws will drop out and the chassis will fall out.