cabinet / enclosure design software

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

idnotbe

cabinet / enclosure design software

Post by idnotbe »

Eminence sells it and there are many free software.

did anyone tried it?
and is it worth for a guitar cabinet design?

i am interested in the detuned cab from KoC.
wonder it can help to design that kind of cab.
shoggoth

Re: cabinet / enclosure design software

Post by shoggoth »

I don't think it would help design a detuned cab - the working theory behind the detuned cabs is "hey this sounds good!" - there's been no real mathematical analysis of any of the principles behind it that I'm aware of.

BTW, I built a detuned 2x12, had to modify Kevin's plans to make the ports bigger, the dimensions were mismarked in the plans (area of each port should roughly be the area of a speaker) - it sounds fantastic
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

There is a lot of information out there in the hifi world about tuned cabinets that is worth investigating to my mind. I have a few of the programs you likely came across and have long toyed with making some tuned cabs but have just not put the time in and actually done it. I did some reading, bought a couple programs, a bunch of drivers and some nice birch ply but its been sitting at my workshop for 2 years gathering dust, ha ha. I would venture that you could develop a great sounding scientifically tuned cab as long as you can find all the speaker specs and understand a bit about how you want to tune it

The KOC "detuned" idea is pretty low tech, and is not really a specifically tuned method to my mind, and instead simply drops the volume with fewer drivers and opens up some huge ports on the front of the cab that are not really scientifically placed or sized, though some people find it sounds pretty good. The cabs in the tut book are really deep too as I recall - 16" or something. To me you could likely improve on them quite a bit with a bit of tinkering and some design software. Maybe instead of just removing a few speakers, put in 1 or more adjustable depth ports, or ports you could plug up or unplug while doing some listening tests so see what you like vs what you may have designed in whatever software. You could plot a few things and with some planning beforehand design your cabs so you can tweak them a bit as you go before finishing it up (or make a prototype cab to mess with then junk it once you are happy with what you came up with.

I am sure some folks around here have tried especially those who dabble in the hifi world as well. The 1x 12 EV TL 806tuned cab seems an easy place to start though it is tuned for that specific driver

Winspeakerz software is pretty deep and has G12M specs and a few other guitar drivers in its database as I recall, though its mostly hifi and car speakers. Its not even installed on my new computer, or I would list more. Gotta find my serial number and reinstall it. Not expensive https://www.trueaudio.com/win_abt1.htm

http://www.realoldiesradio.com/docs/EV/ ... _TL806.pdf
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

You won't find any guidance for detuned cab's in modern design software, as they are more of a haphazard design than anything else..... It seems to be based on old reflex theories from the fifties, and an opening area roughly equal to membrane area was a sort of guidance back then, and may be a good starting point...