Distortion

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mr_crowley

Distortion

Post by mr_crowley »

Hello everyone ive just joined group..
I need a little help im new guitar player... can i get a normal distortion sound with this amp or its a trash?
And if i use distortion pedal will it be ok with this amp or sound will be the same? Image

Sent from my GT-I9060 using Tapatalk

ChopSauce

Re: Distortion

Post by ChopSauce »

From a newbie to another:

1. I would have started "googling" the subject myself; and

2. the sub-title of the forum makes it clear that tube amps are the matter. Yet I don't know you amp, I'm pretty sure it is not.

Most likely you should be able to find Youtube videos that demo your amp with various settings and maybe also pedals.

Edit : typo corrected
Last edited by ChopSauce on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

There's good distortion and bad distortion and all that will provide is that latter!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have the 30w version and it is a fun amp to practice with. Try a distortion pedal and listen how it sounds.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

As has been stated most of the focus of this forum is about tube amplifiers, so we're not usually great at detail on Solid State amps. Any good clean solid state amp should take pedals well, and you should be able to plug in any good fuzz/distortion/drive pedals and get a nice tone from it. In my opinion, never quite as good as a tube amp, but hey, that's just me :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

To my ear, many guitar transistor amps tend to have a subtle intermittent nasty scratchy HF overtone when they are running to distortion/clipping levels. Like a faint clicking sound mixed in with the signal. Same thing you get when you drive a cheap mic to clipping through a cheap mixing desk. Probably just bad design... or...

Anyway, I prefer tube amps.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I started off with a really cheap transistor amp as a kid but friends had those GA-5 Gibson tube amps that opened up my ears.

I gigged with a converted console amplifier a Zenith P/P 6v6's I added 1/4" jacks to as a kid and then I got a Fender Tremolux head.

During the 1980's/1990's I tired of tubes loosening up in transport (didn't know to use tube retainers) so switched to a Peavey Bandit 65 for years. With a Distortion Plus for gain.

Then I once again went back to tube amps and starting building and what an addiction that has been.

Mark
romberg

Post by romberg »

For a practice "rig" I find my boss micro br-80 one of the best tools to actually improve my playing. For 250ish bucks it is hard to beat (maybe less used). This little thing is smaller than a ham sandwich. But it can be run on batteries, has built in amp simulators and digital effects, a drum machine and pre-installed drum loops, built-in stereo microphones, an eight track digital recorder and plays mp3 and other sound files. I often drop it into a guitar case instead of hauling an amp around just for informal jams. I'll plug it into whatever PA or loud thing I can find.

What makes a gizmo like this even more cool for a beginner is that you can adjust the speed of a loaded mp3 up or down *without* changing the pitch. So, you can load a song you are trying to learn and slow it down and play along with it. Then gradually speed things up. Playing along with a metronome is boring and unintuitive to me. But playing along with a drum machine or loops is a great way to develop your sense of time.

A used 100 dollar transistor practice amp and a few pedals will easily cost more than something like this. And won't help you learn to play near as well. I bet there are other companies that make similar things. I wish they existed when I first started. Heck I think it may be my "desert island amp".

Mike
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Even amp builders like Dave Friedman and John Suhr like the new Katana amplifiers.