Weller soldering stations

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dynaman

Weller soldering stations

Post by dynaman »

I have Weller WES50 and WESD51 soldering stations. I run mine flat out at 850. Anybody else prefer their heat this high? Anything lower just seems too slow. I like the longer, narrow screwdriver tips.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Weller soldering stations

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I have a hakko fx888d and keep it at 750, and it works fine for me, I think the 850 could damage some components if you're not really fast at getting in and getting off.

But you've probably done it long enough to have that mastered.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I just bought a new Weller WES51. The one I retired had to be run near full on (850) to work very well, even with new tips. The new one does the same job at 650 to 700, so something in the old one was sub-par. It was almost 8 years old so paid for itself more than once.
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Ok, maybe my units are simply getting old. They're hand-me-downs.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have two Radio Shack digital soldering stations and I use 850 setting most of the time even on PCB tracing.

I would have to have the iron on the solder joint way too long if I was at 750 which could lift the tracing.

Built over 140 amps so far with these Radio Shack units.

Keep it hot and work fast/careful.

Mark
Winder

Post by Winder »

850F all the time seems a bit high. Changing tips to suit the situation is a way of working at lower temps where you can ... chisel tips where large masses of metal need to be heated (ground lugs, etc.), suitable conical tip for general purpose, sharp conical for more delicate. Generally, limiting time on target is important for component safety ... to minize trace/pad lifting, and that sort of thing. Keeping things in the 600-700F range though can reduce PVC inuslation melt too. I work at 600-700F and change tips depending on the situation ... up to 800F with a substantial chisel-tip for chassis mounted ground lugs and that sort of thing. Keep your tip clean and tinned if you can - wet sponge or brass tip cleaner and a load of solder before you rack the wand.
Last edited by Winder on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Just shows we both get things done using either temperature.

Just watch some of the guitar building videos on youtube and watch how long it takes them to heat things up before the solder will flow and clouds of smoke bellowing out, makes me cringe and say turn it up.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I agree. Working fast is important. The old station took forever to heat up the joint. It wouldn't work on pots and jacks and the like any more. The new one works quickly at the lower settings. I'll turn it up for the parts with more mass.
SoneAura

Post by SoneAura »

I ran similar soldering stations, that predate one of these, for many years. I ran them full out, most of the time. I get in, and get back out ASAP. If I am working one a Q or something like that, I might clip a heatsink on the leads, get in and get out, really fast. The newer tips and heating elements are pretty awful now. I used to run the old made in USA elements & tips all day, day in day out, and they would last for 5,6,7 even 10 or 12 years. Now that the lower end Weller stuff is made down in Mexico I am doing good to get 2 maybe 3 years from a tip, & element. (usually less than two) I am debating going to the $1300 German Weller, or just going to the Hako Japanese stations. Mexican Weller, only lasts 20% as long as the old USA Weller products. It was Weller's decision to save money by taking their production down to Mexico. It is my decision to sh*tcan all my old Weller stuff and move on to Hako. NAFTA? NOMFBA (Not On My F___king Bench A--holes). I keep the twin Weller's on the guitar bench, for quick pot changes, but they are just not good enough for staying on all day building & fixing amps. When one would cool off, I'd grab the second pencil and keep on soldering. Time is money, and Weller is costing me both.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I love my Weller WTCPT. I’ve used the same 800 degree tip for a long time. Seems to work great. I’ve been known to leave it on overnight...
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Proper tip size is important, and clean... too small only makes trouble. Wetting old joints with fresh solder also helps. A 50W iron may also be marginal if the joint is of any size. I switched to the newer 80W years ago.. I usually run around 400C/750F, or just below, for non critical components
tictac

Post by tictac »

The problem with too high of a temp is that the flux will evaporate before it can clean the surfaces to be joined properly and the soldered joint will be of poor quality.... :oops:

You need to know the characteristics of the type of solder you're using, melting point etc, and experiment with temps between 600 to 750F to see how the solder responds to different temps and materials....

TT