Revv Generator 120

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Revv Generator 120

Post by M Fowler »

I meet Derek from Revv amps (Canada) a few years back, he has a friend in Fargo ND so he brought down some of their amps to ToneSyndicate Guitar Store in Fargo, ND.

We had a blast listening and playing through all those amps. Derek once owned a Marshall Slash AFD signature amp and wished he had it back. He played through my HRP #39 head

and we made a deal, trade on a Generator 120 head, multi-channel monster and midi controlled.

Nice amp with lots of tricks and these things are getting played all over the place maybe you were at NAMM and saw them?

Mark
27459438_10210349385402568_4510202645567387548_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Revv Generator 120

Post by xtian »

I stopped counting knobs after four...

:)
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah to me, it seems like too many of the newer amps go for TOO much tone shaping, to the point that many can't even figure out how to get the tone they want. I think the tone shaping should happen more on the guitar and effects side, and the amp should be dialed in for a specific use, some amps are great alone or with light reverb for a classic rock tone, (maybe another gain pedal?) Other types work great for a clean max headroom with pedals as a pedal platform, even more are super clean for jazz, etc. SO for the style of music you want, pick the amp that's designed for that sound and modify it to your tastes and play, :) I don't get why these mesa's/Diezels etc have like 500 knobs, sounds like a recipe for a 'suck knob' :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Those knobs are independent channels you can setup plus midi control settings.

I can't build complicated amps like these but still enjoy the many voicings it can achieve.

Most of the time I play with Volume and Tone knob amps I've have built.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 pmMost of the time I play with Volume and Tone knob amps I've have built.
Ha, that's what I do most. I'm really finding the simpler they are, the better. Get the right guitar with the right amp and right speaker...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I agree with you Dave, have fun brother.
Gainzilla

Post by Gainzilla »

Cool amp! Fwiw, Revv clearly know their market and seem to be selling enough amps to stay in business. I think we can all agree that less is more, but the modern metal crowd likes to turn their bias down almost to the point of ugliness. Not to say they wouldn’t know a good tone if it but them in the ass, but the definitions are changing as time goes on. I personally don’t need that many knobs, but I believe I could make that amp sound great. Tone is in the hands, right? ;)
I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

It really is a great sounding amp and all that have played through mine are very impressed and still trying to figure out how to buy it, perhaps tax refund?

Mark