Diodes made in China vs USA

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tictac

Diodes made in China vs USA

Post by tictac »

I just received a pack of UF4007 diodes I purchased off Ebay. The price was good, $3.00 for 100 pcs. or there abouts. They came loose in a plastic bag and not with tape on both ends like you receive from Mouser, Digikey, etc. One thing I didn't like though was the fact that the Chinese made diodes are smaller than those from Mouser, and the leads are thinner.

Am I making an issue of nothing here? Has anyone else noticed this phenomena and can comment? I'm all ears!

TT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: Diodes made in China vs USA

Post by xtian »

When you order from Mouser et al, you can specify "reel" for the one with the tape, or "bulk" for loose components.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The Chinese diode also has the band painted on the wrong end! :shock:
xtian

Post by xtian »

sluckey wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:14 pm The Chinese diode also has the band painted on the wrong end! :shock:
That’s OK...just use it for bias rectification. ;)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

xtian wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm
sluckey wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:14 pm The Chinese diode also has the band painted on the wrong end! :shock:
That’s OK...just use it for bias rectification. ;)
I thought those were supposed to be used for amps that are laid out opposite, like fender vs marshall :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tictac

Post by tictac »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But seriously folks, as Joe Walsh once said, are these inferior parts or nothing to get my panties in a bunch over? :oops:

I know, "just shut up an play yer guitar!...

TT
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

xtian wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm That’s OK...just use it for bias rectification. ;)
Perfect. Thanks. :wink:
xtian

Post by xtian »

tictac wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But seriously folks, as Joe Walsh once said, are these inferior parts or nothing to get my panties in a bunch over? :oops:
I can’t imagine they suck.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

tictac wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm are these inferior parts or nothing to get my panties in a bunch over?
Unwad your panties.

There is no way to tell from the outside whether they're good inside. They'll work or they won't. What is the expected consequence if they fail in the worst possible manner? If it's too bad, don't use them. If it's OK-ish, but frustrating, use them and consider any bad results to be education.

If it bothers you, or it's in a critical application, don't buy semiconductors from ebay. Has your time spent worrying about this been worth more or less than the price difference in buying from mouser?
tictac

Post by tictac »

I'm going to do the test shown on one of the UF4007 datasheets; if they look look close to the specs I'll use them if not, I won't...

I've bought parts from Ebay before with no problems, just not semiconductors.... It's true that it's not worth the extra time spent to save a few bucks :oops:

From now on Mouser and Digikey for me.....

TT
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Chiodes. Your amp will be hungry in an hour.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
jjman

Post by jjman »

If they don't meet the specs I won't be surprised at all. Not meeting the specs is often what China products are all about.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

Chinese parts are real PITA. Wrong colorcode's, Diodes banded wrong. Caps leaking etc. etc.
Dutch hand build amps
tictac

Post by tictac »

I think I solved the mystery; I had an envelope with some FR 1000V diodes with a 1/2A rating. I did a side by side comparison and they look exactly the same.

So basically they're selling UFXXX7 diodes rated at 1/2A and calling them UF4007....

TT
trobbins

Post by trobbins »

TT that is one of the poorest comparison assessments I've seen for ages. Don't you have something better to go on than looks?