Cliff Jack Issues

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stephenl

Cliff Jack Issues

Post by stephenl »

Anyone run into issues with Cliff Jacks?

I use them for speaker jacks because they're insulated and haven't really had any issues thus far.

Yesterday, I found issues with two... in each case, one contact wasn't making contact with the speaker plug. The contact/solder tab has a dimple on it to hold its place in the plastic slot. The slot was loose enough so that when the speaker plug was pushed in, the dimple would slide right under the plastic creating a loose connection. Really not what I want for speaker connections on a tube amp.

I couldn't find the word "Cliff" on the jacks, wondering if they were knockoffs. I bought them from TubeDepot. I looked at others though and couldn't see a brand on any of them...

Maybe I should switch to switchcraft metal jacks. They're just a bit more of a pain to isolate, but I feel more confident with something that is all metal. What do you guys use to isolate them? Does Switchcraft have a washer kit?
Steve
M Fowler

Re: Cliff Jack Issues

Post by M Fowler »

The cheap knockoffs are bad really bad I make sure to buy Cliff labelled jacks. Many of the parts suppliers are now telling you if the jack is Cliff UK or not.

I have a drawer full of the cheap jacks I will not use might as well through away.

Speakers I prefer high quality switchcraft or Neutrix jack. The locking jacks work well but annoy some for unknown reasons at least they don't blow out.

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Since I have had issues a while back it's Switchcraft only for me!!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

stephenl wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 am Maybe I should switch to switchcraft metal jacks. They're just a bit more of a pain to isolate, but I feel more confident with something that is all metal. What do you guys use to isolate them? Does Switchcraft have a washer kit?
Hoffman sells shoulder washers for use with Switchcraft jacks. Use two per jack. Require 1/2" diameter chassis hole.

http://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop ... =!ORDERID!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I just pulled two original Cliff jacks from an '83 JCM 800. Same issue--metal components were sliding out of place and not making contact with the plug tip.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
strelok

Post by strelok »

I've had a few cliff jacks fail over the years. Isolation was the main reason I used them as well. Was planning on trying to find some isolation washers for switchcraft's for use in future builds and now I don't have to. :D

I wonder if the issue isn't caused by too much dwell time when soldering and the heat weakens the plastic.

Edit: Btw I don't remember if they were real cliff jacks or not fwiw.
dimitris

Post by dimitris »

Has anyone tried this https://puretonetechnologies.com/produc ... utput-jack ?
Looks like a good idea,especially for speaker jacks.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

xtian wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm I just pulled two original Cliff jacks from an '83 JCM 800. Same issue--metal components were sliding out of place and not making contact with the plug tip.
In all fairness, those are 35 years old! Never had an issue with Cliff UK myself.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Whoa, that Purtone jack was something I had not seen before. This seems a great idea. Thanks, dimitris! I ordered 4 for my guitars. The pictures that they post of the improved frequency response is hard to believe... This said, I will throw the dice but hang on to my DeOxit, too.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Jered

Post by Jered »

My puretone jacks just arrived. They look good. Goin to switch out the jacks in two guitars this weekend and give them a whirl. They look well made, but we will see.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Another way to get a better grip on a mono plug is to use a TRS jack, and connect the ring contact to ground.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

The puretone jack looks like a viable mechanical improvement - I think they could sell it just on that attribute.

The enhanced frequency response, snakeoil, kind of detracts from their sales pitch...
Steve
Jered

Post by Jered »

You are correct. They work great, it does seem to be a better jack, but I couldnt hear any difference. I still like them.