Deluxe Reverb voltages

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tyler8611

Re: Deluxe Reverb voltages

Post by tyler8611 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 pm
tyler8611 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:15 pm Ok so I resoldered the tail resistor ground- no change. Still motorboating. Mind you, I have a 100k/.047 across the standby, so that's why it's trickling in enough to be audible. I've used that method on all my standby switches with no pops and no problems. I double checked to make sure this one is wired and soldered correctly, so that's not an issue.

My best guess is bad filter caps, failing PT, or bad power tubes which I highly doubt since they're fairly new JJs and I tried them before in a tweed deluxe. They always light up normally, no redplating, etc.

Should I remove the tubes now and measure to see what's going on?
You seem to be ignoring the requests of one of the best amp troubleshooters I've ever worked with, do what sluckey asked and you won't be far from a solution. IMO anyway.

~Phil
Wrong. I simply asked whether pulling the tubes before taking those measurements would be ok.
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

Thought I had already mentioned, but the resistance from pin 8 to ground is 1.5 ohms. They're vishay dale resistors.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

well shoot, I'll just shut up then and not try to help, it's obvious from your reply you're not wanting any from me.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

sluckey wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm What resistance do you measure from pin 8 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 3 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 4 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 5 to chassis for each 6V6?
Pin 8 to chassis- 1.5 ohms

With only the rectifier installed:

Pin 3 to chassis: 460v both

Pin 4 to chassis: 460v both

Pin 5 to chassis: -15v both
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Voltage readings with no tubes installed are meaningless. Except for that pin 5 voltage. Better fix that before you plug in the 6V6s.
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

sluckey wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 pm Voltage readings with no tubes installed are meaningless. Except for that pin 5 voltage. Better fix that before you plug in the 6V6s.
Gotcha, I'll put em back in. Should the pin 5 voltage be more negative? And would involve changing the bias tail resistor or simply adjusting the pot? It was all the way down (as looking from underneath) when I measured.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Per the schematic on a fender deluxe reverb aa763 (most will be within that range for 6V6) it calls for -35V so your bias pot should be able to dial it more negative than that as well. Say -40 or more. Then you can adjust according to taste after you measure and get the exact plate current. -15 is way too low of negative voltage and you're going to chew up tubes running that hot.

Sorry I couldn't help responding as that's something sluckey already stated setting this to max negative was important. You said you adjusted it but never reported what it actuall was. If you expect people to help, try and give them as much information as possible. I know from personal experience, sluckey is patient, but I led him on a few good goose chases because I wouldn't give him exactly what he was looking for. As sluckey reported, I'd not put those tubes back in until you can get the negative bias in a healthy range.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 pm Per the schematic on a fender deluxe reverb aa763 (most will be within that range for 6V6) it calls for -35V so your bias pot should be able to dial it more negative than that as well. Say -40 or more. Then you can adjust according to taste after you measure and get the exact plate current. -15 is way too low of negative voltage and you're going to chew up tubes running that hot.

Sorry I couldn't help responding as that's something sluckey already stated setting this to max negative was important. You said you adjusted it but never reported what it actuall was. If you expect people to help, try and give them as much information as possible. I know from personal experience, sluckey is patient, but I led him on a few good goose chases because I wouldn't give him exactly what he was looking for. As sluckey reported, I'd not put those tubes back in until you can get the negative bias in a healthy range.

~Phil
I think your involvement here is counterproductive.
Travis_HY

Post by Travis_HY »

tyler8611 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:50 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 pm Per the schematic on a fender deluxe reverb aa763 (most will be within that range for 6V6) it calls for -35V so your bias pot should be able to dial it more negative than that as well. Say -40 or more. Then you can adjust according to taste after you measure and get the exact plate current. -15 is way too low of negative voltage and you're going to chew up tubes running that hot.

~Phil
This is so out of line, Tyler. Phil is a moderator here and is trying to help. Why are you asking for help and then refusing it when it's offered?
"Genius manifests itself. You got a hammer. You either build a Cathedral or you build a shithouse." - Carl Schroeder
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

tyler8611 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:50 pm

~Phil
So you're saying because I was right and you didn't want to listen to me, I'm the one with the problem? Seems definitely counterproductive. Usually being rude and the like to forum members increases their desire to help right? I try to do my best to help, and you're being rude to me because of it. Not only that, but one the most knowledgeable people that I likely know of on this and other forums is offering you help and you're still not listening to his suggestions either. Must be my problem.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

sluckey wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm What resistance do you measure from pin 8 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 3 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 4 to chassis for each 6V6?

What voltage do you measure from pin 5 to chassis for each 6V6?
Adjusted the bias pot back to halfway and here's what I have:

Pin 8 to chassis: 1.5 ohms

Pin 3 to chassis: 153v both

Pin 4 to chassis: 153v both

Pin 5 to chassis: -32v
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

Well it isn't the tubes. Tried out another pair. Funny thing is the plate and screen measurements are good while the amp is on standby. Turn it on and they drop down low again.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

The 1.5R resistor is probably a 1R resistor with the meter leads adding 0.5R of measurement. What is the mV (DC) across this resistor? (We need to know this the calculate the tube current)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

tubeswell wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm The 1.5R resistor is probably a 1R resistor with the meter leads adding 0.5R of measurement. What is the mV (DC) across this resistor? (We need to know this the calculate the tube current)
Ok I will check asap.
tyler8611

Post by tyler8611 »

tubeswell wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm The 1.5R resistor is probably a 1R resistor with the meter leads adding 0.5R of measurement. What is the mV (DC) across this resistor? (We need to know this the calculate the tube current)
That reading is zero.