A quick question about a capacitor

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tubedood

A quick question about a capacitor

Post by tubedood »

Hi Folks... I have a nice (so far haha) project going for myself.. a practice amp flavored after the 1958-1959ish Fender Princeton tweed. A simple circuit yet that's where I am a lil lost (low part count = more attention to part quality) . So little parts in the tone control... merely 2 capacitors... 1 is to roll frequencies to ground and the other to act like a treble bypass to the volume wiper.

What is found to be the best cap type in such a simple (yet effective it looks) tone control? My main thoughts are which to use for the 250pf to 500pf cap to the volume wiper... Common sense tells me use the Silver Mica which goshh everyone loves in tone controls. The other side of that coin is to use a ceramic which would have been in an amp of that era. Sorry if this is a novice question! I have to buy the cap either way we go so I thought Id ask the community that enjoys making amps!

Thanks in advance for your time and comments!

Dale
Coyotesgator

Re: A quick question about a capacitor

Post by Coyotesgator »

Try both kinds.
What Happened?

Who let the magic smoke out?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This is what Leo used...

tubedood

Post by tubedood »

Yep.. I am either using a Jupiter .005 or I have a few leftover mustard .0047's for the pot to ground Astron. I'm curious about the ceramic to wiper and options in there. A lot of folks arnt liking the usual rule of silver mica in everything tone related and that's where Id like some input. I'm not too savvy in the old fender stuff
tubedood

Post by tubedood »

ohh heck that is an old mica. OK cool thanks for the pic! Is that what you guys woulda used if this was your project?
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

You're not likely to find those old domino caps. I would just use a silver mica or ceramic just because I have either of those in my parts bins. If I had to buy, I'd get a silver mica.