Extending OT/PT/choke leads ?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

framos

Extending OT/PT/choke leads ?

Post by framos »

Hi everyone,

I want to reuse a set OT/PT/choke from a previous build, but I am pretty sure I'll have problems with the length of the leads. I need some advice on how to proceed.

As replacing them completely sounds a bit outside my current ability.... what would be the best approach in this case (if there is one)? Splicing/shrink wrapping? Extending using terminal strips? Or I am asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance,
Fabiano
norburybrook

Re: Extending OT/PT/choke leads ?

Post by norburybrook »

I've just soldered and then heat shrinked extra wire on to old transformers I've used in new builds. Had no issues. Make sure you use similar spec wire.

Marcus
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Traditional Western Union splice with solder and heat shrink. Use same gauge/voltage rated wire. Really, it's simple and it works. If not familiar, Google it and you'll get more information than you want.
framos

Post by framos »

Sure, I am familiar with the WU splice.

I was mostly concerned with possible noise and such (as you can see I am a novice builder).

Thanks!
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Just do your best with the layout to keep the OT almost as far away from the first gain stage as the power transformer, which should be bolted down as far away as you can get it from the first gain stage!

I rebuilt two small no name cheap combo amps (8" speaker size amp) for a guy last year and did not have room for the bigger PT on the stock chassis, so I extended the leads to mount it on a Aluminum plate bolted to the floor / bottom of the amp.

I could not have done myself a bigger favor in doing this as even though both amps are single ended output stages the AC hum level at full tilt in both of these amps is zero!!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!