Need tips on using interstage transformer - phase inverter

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Roe

Need tips on using interstage transformer - phase inverter

Post by Roe »

In my next amp I want to try an interstage transformer for the phase inverter. Any suggestions on transformer and implementation?

It will be a 100w guitar amp (quad of 6l6 or el34, 1k75 primary, 395-473V plate voltage) and I prefer to start with 12a*7 tubes. I am considering using one triode as an ordinary gainstage and the second triode as a cathode follower driving the interstage transformer.

I am considering the musicmaster transformer made by classictone. The nominal primary DC resistance 1785 Ohms and the secondary is 3140 Ohms. The turns ratio is 1:1.35.
Last edited by Roe on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
martin manning

Re: Need tips on using interstage transformer - phase inverter

Post by martin manning »

Are there some existing circuits you are looking at for the power stage? Fender did one (PS160) as I recall, others?
Roe

Post by Roe »

Not really, there is the PS160, the musicmaster and the weber ab200 bass amp (as well as old gibson and magnatone amps if I remember correctly).
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
bb5000

Post by bb5000 »

Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp (Silverface), Fender PS300, Fender PS400 + lot of old radios from 30-50's.. Plus the ones mentioned in the previous post. I've built the Weber AB200 myself and used it for 8 years now.
<b>LF Audioservice</b>
Built:
Weber AB200
Weber 6S100
Hiwatt DR201
Fender 6G3 Deluxe
Roe

Post by Roe »

Yes, I am looking for a phase inverter that can drive a quad of el34s or 6l6s into full breakup. I want an inverter that is better balanced than the typical long tail pair phase inverter (which tends to be unbalanced if you crank the amp). Still, this is only a 100w guitar amp, so even a 12bh7 driver is perhaps too much. a 12au7 might suffice
4x12" w/H75s
Rockwell666

Post by Rockwell666 »

an old version of the Garnet BTO uses an interstage P.I Transformer and its a beast of an amp (4xel34)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

If you're worried about PI balance, why not install a PI balance pot? Seems more straightforward than the interstage transformer, and I think it's generally less expensive.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Roe

Post by Roe »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 pm If you're worried about PI balance, why not install a PI balance pot? Seems more straightforward than the interstage transformer, and I think it's generally less expensive.

~Phil
this works quite well actually. But an interstage transformer is supposedly even better under hard drive
4x12" w/H75s
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Roe wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:58 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 pm If you're worried about PI balance, why not install a PI balance pot? Seems more straightforward than the interstage transformer, and I think it's generally less expensive.

~Phil
this works quite well actually. But an interstage transformer is supposedly even better under hard drive
I don't know that I understand how hard drive would impact a well balanced PI tube? the balancing is to just get their base conductivity and performance balanced so they perform very nearly identically, or are you indicating you have evidence or information that shows that the two triodes in the tube would respond balanced at some measurement points but not at other frequencies or current ratings?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The balance will shift with the drive level.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ahh interesting, but with a transformer it doesn't?

Sounds like it's a HiFi approach then, but for guitar amps, isn't that counter to the desired overtones added like 2nd harmonic etc?

Just curious.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Roe

Post by Roe »

martin manning wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm The balance will shift with the drive level.
yes, at least in part because of negative feedback
4x12" w/H75s
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Gibson Minuteman has an interstage TX... I have one on the shelf. This is very intriguing.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The Fender ps400 is a class AB2 output stage is that also what you are shooting for?
About 12 years ago there was a build posted somewhere that used a small choke in place of the cathode resistor in a PI circuit to provide more drive current somewhat like a class AB2 stage.

I think I have it and I will dig it out tonight and post it up tomorrow for those who might have interest.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Stevem wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:22 pmAbout 12 years ago there was a build posted somewhere that used a small choke in place of the cathode resistor in a PI circuit to provide more drive current somewhat like a class AB2 stage.
That would be more about providing a constant current source for the PI to improve its balance. That can be done with a MOSFET too, I believe.