Need schematic drawing program

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DR.Z

Need schematic drawing program

Post by DR.Z »

Can anyone help me locate a good cheap schematic drawing software program ?
One for tube amps of course.
The tech I had doing my schematics graduated school and took a job out of town , I have no access to his schools computer and program.

Thanks in advance,
Z
romberg

Re: Need schematic drawing program

Post by romberg »

I have been reasonably happy with kicad:

http://kicad-pcb.org/

It is open source. So, the price is right. I don't use windows, but it does seem to work on that platform as well.

Mike
harleyboy2112

Post by harleyboy2112 »

Before I had my CAD system I used Express/PCB-Express/Schematic.
Easy to use and if I remember right on one of the forums someone had custom components for tube amps you could download.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

If you're planning on working with people on this site, you'll see express sch (.sch) files, for a lot of the past work, and it seems we're all pretty keen on standardizing on kicad as was mentioned.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

There is a tendency to think that a magic software package will do all the work for you. This approach to a task is like thinking that your barn is built when you've bought a new hammer.

It is true that software setups can relieve some of the dog-work. Word processors do make pagination, margins, tab-setting, spell checking, and such underlying matters simpler. But a word processor doesn't make the words either flow onto the page or make sense once you get them there. PCB design suites do make it simpler to place components and run traces, do bills of material and so on - but they don't make the PCBs work any better if you don't know the circuit and what signals are running where.

It's a little heretical, I know, but any good line-art program will do the job, just like a pencil and paper will. The line art program can take care of a lot of the dog work for you, especially if it lets you group lines, curves, and shapes into "parts", and then place the parts on some kind of grid or snap setup. I have done all my schematics on Corel Draw since about 1995. Works great.

If you want a schematic program to then auto-magically transfer the connectivity of parts into a PCB layout program, you're stuck with picking up a PCB layout package, not a drawing program. KiCad is probably OK. I've never used it, but it gets good press. But using schematic entry as an entre to the circuit's connectivity isn't just a schematic function. And even then, it won't in general let you annotate the nets with the kind of considerations that would result in good layouts. So far as I know, that has to come from a human head.
drew

Post by drew »

You should hire 10thTx. He dreams in ExpressSCH.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

DR.Z wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:01 pm The tech I had doing my schematics graduated school and took a job out of town , I have no access to his schools computer and program.
So....he's still alive? Have you tried contacting him?
I cannot believe you had him do that kind of work for you, and not give you the source files (YOUR IP), and keep you in the loop on what cad program he used. This is standard operating procedure. But it's not unprecedented....I'm busy going thru hundreds of schematic notes, really BAD BOMs, bad schematic drawings, and inaccurate as-builts for an amp co in CA...done by a guy who is dead.

I do this for more than a dozen amp co's out here and I ALWAYS give them ALL source files, pdfs, and always let them know what software (and version) I use. Same w/ pcb files. AND, I give them asccii export conversions so that they may be imported into other software in case I die! It takes literally less than 30sec to make plots or conversions.

Why in the hell is the amp community still in the stoneage!? I guess documentation, especially accurate documentation, isn't important. I guess amp co's IP isn't important. I've seen far better hobbyist's docs just googling circuits for the hell of it.

Oh, and to answer your question Mr Z....Kicad...it's free....and there some good guys on this forum that can help you if you just ask. Please pay them fairly. Don't be like defense contractors and stiff people for their efforts.
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

JSchem is a great free cross-platform program. Been using it for years

Files are compatible with Express Schem

http://jschem.bplaced.net
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

tubeswell wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 am JSchem is a great free cross-platform program. Been using it for years

Yes!

I won't say it's good or easier than kicad, which I do think, but at least it helped me a lot. The Linux version seems to be less buggy than the Windows one, NB.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

There are some advantages to using ExpressSCH, IMO because of the libraries that are already available with 100's of ExpressSCH schematics AND quite a few layouts:

https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?board=12.0

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17449

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17500

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ck#p252254

The advantage is that one can take an already drawn schematic and quickly edit it into something else. And one can "group components" to save sections of a schematic.

For example, I have grouped components and have easy access to "one tube reverb", active FX loop, LTPI, Marshall preamp, Fender preamp, various tone stacks, PPIMV,
mosfet cathode follower, fender tremolo, fender style reverb, various D-style preamps and tone stacks, etc...……………….

So, IF I don't already have a schematic for something that is easily editable, I can still draw something up very quickly by downloading those sections into a schematic drawing.

With respect, 10thx
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

While I readily acknowledge that Visio is a superior drawing program, it's not free. There are numerous advantages of Visio especially in drawing up more complete layouts that are appropriately spaced properly.

However, with ExpressSCH, one can save your drawing to Bitmap, open Bitmap with "PAINT" and resave it to GIF & then open the GIF file to add color to what you've drawn for things like layouts. When I post on the Hoffman forum, I typically will post a schematic and a layout both in ExpressSCH and in GIF. It takes me less then 2 minutes to convert ExpressSCH to GIF.

IF you look at this thread of a recent build I've done, you will see a layout drawn and a photo of the inside of the chassis of the finished amp. This gives you an idea of how ExpressSCH can be used to draw up layout boards.

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 28#p382428

With respect, 10thtx
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

ChopSauce wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 am
tubeswell wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 am JSchem is a great free cross-platform program. Been using it for years

Yes!

I won't say it's good or easier than kicad, which I do think, but at least it helped me a lot. The Linux version seems to be less buggy than the Windows one, NB.
I use the Mac version - never really had any problems with it.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Dr. Z asking is asking us for cheap schematic software recs? I am so confused.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

He may know how to build amps, he may know how to read schematics, and write them out on paper, it doesn't mean he's great with software. Or he may have super old software that doesn't work on newer OS'es and needs to bring himself into the new software lineup. As mentioned, he also had someone writing up schematics for him but they left without a means of him opening and viewing them.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

Thanks guys I found Eagle software and seems to work fine at a reasonable price.
Finished my first schematic and on to the rest that need updating.

Z