Faceplate price increases at Mojotone

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mmmoser

Faceplate price increases at Mojotone

Post by mmmoser »

I use a lot of Mojotone chassis for my customer builds and have for years. Usually I have a few changes to a stock faceplate they offer for the various chassis they build and I always paid a "setup" fee in addition to any material cost for the engraving. I developed a logo that they would also put on for me. All in all, I was paying around $70-$80 for a custom faceplate in the size of something like a Blackface Super Reverb. Less for more simple control layouts like a Princeton Reverb based plate for around $40.
I recently ordered a variation of a Brownface Vibroverb (another stock offering faceplate they make) and was shocked to get a price of $163. I was told they needed to "cover their costs" but no other concrete reason. I was wondering if others have recently been given this huge increase and what are the alternatives besides making my own design in some graphics program and going the hand made route. Since I use their chassis in a lot of my builds, it was nice to just be able to slightly modify their existing labeling, add an extra control pot like a Master control or similar and knowing the faceplate would fit perfectly on the already drilled stock chassis with very little drilling work to be done.
Frugal Amps
xtian

Re: Faceplate price increases at Mojotone

Post by xtian »

I've had my faceplates made at https://indcom.graphics for years, using laser etched plastic (GravPoly). Faceplates cost me ~$30 ea, no setup charge. And now they offer a wider variety of services, including full color printing on metal and other materials.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Deric

Post by Deric »

I used to use Joe at Amplates.com but he's no longer doing them. Joe wasn't cheap but his design service was AWESOME!!

I just did a small order with Sandy at Precision Design to test the waters. VERY reasonable pricing and super fast turn around. Haven't received them yet (shipping today) but I'll post a review/update when I get them.
Deric®
drew

Post by drew »

Sounds like Mojotone doesn’t want to be in the one-off faceplate business.
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

I want to echo this post. I've been getting faceplates done for years from Mojotone in the price range mentioned above. Now I quote a simple 17 1/2" x 2" black and white plate, I get $60 setup plus $60 designing fee plus the cost of the plate. $146 for one little plate? That's not realistic. Too bad, I've had great service over the years.

And yes, Sandy is incredible - she did a great job on this project for me. Absolutely will continue to utilize her shop.
Wolf Amplification
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Sounds like they farm out their work and vendors stopped working for modern slave wages. I stopped contracted labor and told them I would price by the job now. I just did a guitar wiring job that cost the customer $430.00..

To wire a guitar. lol they take my price and as near double it as they can. I price the jobs so high they can't make much margin off of it. I hope they stop calling me.

This is how they charge you new amp prices for a kit. You can dump 3 grand in a supernice kit now.

No inflation.

#noinflation
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Just another +1 for Sandy. Excellent communication and fast shipping. I actually have a local graphics shop that does stuff for me now, and it's much cheaper if I can get a bunch at once and use up a full sheet. I have never bought anything from Mojotone. Mostly, it's because I hate the name...two buzzwords rolled into one!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

mmmoser wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 pm I... was shocked to get a price of $163. I was told they needed to "cover their costs" ...
Must be individually handcrafted
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

tubeswell wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:14 pm
mmmoser wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 pm I... was shocked to get a price of $163. I was told they needed to "cover their costs" ...
Must be individually handcrafted
Small batch hand crafted ARTISINAL faceplates.

lmao
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

I make a large number if custom faceplates, the quality of information you get from customers is often poor and what should be a quick job can quickly become a nightmare. I can understand them not pricing the service competitively.
The main benefit of offering the service is it is then more likely that people will buy parts from you at the same time.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

guitarmike2107 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm I make a large number if custom faceplates, the quality of information you get from customers is often poor and what should be a quick job can quickly become a nightmare. I can understand them not pricing the service competitively.
The main benefit of offering the service is it is then more likely that people will buy parts from you at the same time.
Michael knows what he's talking about because he has to deal with me! :D
Deric

Post by Deric »

Just received my order from Sandy at Precision Design. First contacted her last Sunday. Order was done and shipped on Monday. Received on Friday.

Much faster turn around then I expected. Better pricing than I expected and the quality is fantastic. Highly recommended.
8)
Deric®
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

Sandy got mine here even faster (I'm only one state away). Fast, but more importantly excellent quality. Now if I could only get my holes centered in my chassis this well!
Wolf Amplification
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I get plates from Mojotone and don't have high price issues.

What I like about working with guitarmike2107 Modulus is he makes the whole plate process so easy. I know I must be a pain because I can't figure out how to use computer software to design plates so guys like Mike make is easy for this dummy. I just received my plates and chassis from Mike, they are so nice.

Colossal, Dave, has been very good to me over the years take time to design plates for me, thank you Dave.

Mark
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Thanks Mark, I am less "corporate" in the way I deal with custom faceplates, at the end of the day we all want something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfX7CyFAmoA&t=196s

You guys might find this video helpful ,most of these materials are available worldwide, but the hard engraving laminate can not be laser cut.