Stripping plexi panels

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Stripping plexi panels

Post by Reeltarded »

Ideas?

Scraping is bad. Solvents not going to make you happy. Sanding would be a cloudy mess. I can't think of anything great to try.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Re: Stripping plexi panels

Post by Reeltarded »

I HAD considered sanding against a fence to make the sanding marks straight then engraving, paint fill, overspray, but my hopes were to make it optically clear to transfer a design onto.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

plexiglass can be polished by going through progressively finer grades of sandpaper ending with buffing compound. You could also pickup a fresh piece of Lexan from Home Depot. :roll:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

har har har moooooo...

Man, I hate to bore holes in it..
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

It's not much fun to work with, especially thin sheets. I once tried gluing it to a piece of MDF to make it easier to cut and drill. It was easier, but I don't think it was worth the trouble in the end.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Shortcuts will be punished.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

you would have to get the stripped surface looking perfect to not notice it when you re-paint it.
a laser cutting place could cut you a piece to the right size and cut out the holes for you too if you are drilling averse. That is what I would do anyway

Good luck
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Use 2 sided carpet tape to fix it to a table or a board. Then clamp the board. Wet sand to keep debris/dust under control. Polish as described above until it's clear. You can buy the tape locally at a carpet place or on ebait for under $10 for a lifetime supply (as long as you don't go into the carpet installation business.)

If you are concerned about making it level, build a very shallow box so that only a .25mm of the work piece is proud of the fixture. Sand it down using a block that spans the opening. You'll know when you''ve removed the .25mm. This is an amount likely the eye won't detect any unevenness you might leave.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

for $10 you could just get a new piece..... I could probably post you a new piece form Scotland for that amount
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Warning! You do not want to go thru the trouble of getting new lexan and try to drill it with normal bits as you stand a really good chance of cracking the stuff, you need the right type of angle bits.
One way around it which takes longer is to first start out with a very small hole and then with a bit a small amount bigger then you actually need drill a chamfer on both sides of the material , then drill to your final size.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Stevem wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:24 pm Warning! You do not want to go thru the trouble of getting new lexan and try to drill it with normal bits as you stand a really good chance of cracking the stuff, you need the right type of angle bits.
One way around it which takes longer is to first start out with a very small hole and then with a bit a small amount bigger then you actually need drill a chamfer on both sides of the material , then drill to your final size.

^^^^ all truth the thing is I have access to every sort of tooth ever made but getting large holes centered and cut to match (perfectly) is a pain in the glas.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Warning! You do not want to go thru the trouble of getting new lexan and try to drill it with normal bits as you stand a really good chance of cracking the stuff, you need the right type of angle bits.
Ditto. I have found the step bits for drilling different size holes into sheet metal work really good here. Start with a small pilot hole, then switch out to the step bit. I use a drill press, low speed and clamp the piece once centered.
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

Drill bits made for wood boring work pretty well. The ones with a point in the middle and knife edges on the outside diameter. Go slow, use a drill press if possible.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Tita ... /202279642
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

We used to polish out scratches in aircraft plexiglass with cig ashes mixed with toothpaste. Years later i discovered Micromesh, a polishing system that has graded abrasive sheets up to 20000 grit. Looks better than new.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.