new webcomic in town

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

simsamp

new webcomic in town

Post by simsamp »

15. Give yourself a dry brush massage, exfoliating the skin and the lobe between finger and thumb For information on STIs and HIV call the AIDS/STD
I always thought those giant drumming trolls were a fairy tale Well, I guess the shirts are proof I just wanna know when we should start gathering up all of our gear, for when they take over, and pi
I could shoot a mortar better than you any day of the week By the way, I see you still have that holier than thou attitude Nice to see that some things never change You always did think that you wa
Yay for saving xD I do it all the time.. won't let my bank balance go below a certain amount xD Which okay until it comes to virtual money and then I just get fed up with myself but carry on anyway
Last edited by simsamp on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
simsamp
David Root

Re: new webcomic in town

Post by David Root »

166 is the EIA mfrs. code # for a company I think now known as Magnetic Components Inc., located in Chicagoland. May have had a different name back in the day.

They are the common source of "made in USA to original Fender specs" replacement transformers, and obviously Fender uses them as an OEM, as the OT EIA # is 1660513 which means built in 05, week 13.

Nothing wrong with them, particularly the PTs. Dave Allen uses 166 for his PTs in his Rite-Iron series, which I've used and is excellent stuff. However, most of his OTs are made by Heyboer to his specs, but he currently doesn't sell a 100W OT.

Choice of lamination steel spec. is very important to an OT's tone, especially in a guitar amp, and the standard M6 is not always the best choice for a guitar amp. M27 is often better, for example. FWIW, Dave Allen's Heyboer OTs are made with "special lamination steel" i.e not M6 and very likely M27.

Look around before you plunk down big $$$ for a Mercury Magnetics OT. Ted Weber sells both MM and Heyboer, check his site, but he doesn't stock anything from either company. His stock iron is Chinese.
simsamp

can't find that company on google

Post by simsamp »

david ,thanks for the info ,i can't find that company you mentioned...magnetic components inc.
i see thransformers on ebay and as you stated the "allen rite series"
have those numbers ,but i find who is bulding them...
simsamp
________
Help for love
Last edited by simsamp on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB

Re: new webcomic in town

Post by RB »

Check out Triode Electronis in Chicago. I know they have transformers made for them with the 166 EIA codes. They also sell on ebay as triodeel.
I have found them to be very helpful in the past. Maybe they would give you a phone number or address for the manufacturer.