Decent amp for a beginner?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Zuriv

Decent amp for a beginner?

Post by Zuriv »

I bought my first guitar and it's on the way, so I'd also like to buy an amp https://waveadvice.com/beginner-guitar-amplifiers/ also. I'd like one that will sound decent but won't cost be a ton. I know under $200 won't get me much but I'm on a budget and I want to learn also.

The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and I already have my dads Epiphone Sheraton so something that would fit well with these two guitars would be amazing! Thanks
Last edited by Zuriv on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevem

Re: Decent amp for a beginner?

Post by Stevem »

Your statement of "I want learn " is in regards to what, playing Guitar, and or working on amps?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah this forum is focused on tube amp building, not beginner guitar amps, doesn't mean we aren't available to give our advice, but we do generally like tube amps here. You may be able to find a peavey classis 30 for close to 200 but usually they go more for 400 used, but are a great little amp. The vox valvetronix aren't horrible and can be had for 200$ but they're solid state with one tube to give some tube sound, not amazing, but not horrible for that price range.
You may also be able to find a fender blues junior around that price range, it's a decent starter amp and it's tube.

Hope that helps. As mentioned, this forum isn't usually focused on that type of question, there are tons of forums that focus on and can help a new guitar player out.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The 50w Boss Katana sounds very good.
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

I'll probably get banned for this, and maybe I should be, but a good amp for a rank beginner, someone that needs bedroom volume, both at home and at lessons, is the Yamaha THR10 modeling amp. I love tubes at volume, but at very low volume levels, the THR10 actually sounds better. Better than any of the inexpensive SS amps that parents usually buy for their kids, and it's quite a bit more compact and portable.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Even if you wanted to build a small 5 watt tube amp ( volume and tone only) from a kit they are like 220 bucks and that is without a speaker or cabinet.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

Modeling amps are an easy way for a beginner to get a good sound quickly, which will make you want to play more.
The Katanas are great, as is the Yamaha, and the newer Fender small amps with modeling have gotten good reviews too.
Google "practice amps" and/or "modeling amps" and you should find lots of articles that compare inexpensive amps.
Pay no attention to the gear websites where people argue endlessly about these things. They will drive you crazy!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Tony Bones wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:21 am I'll probably get banned for this, and maybe I should be, but a good amp for a rank beginner, someone that needs bedroom volume, both at home and at lessons, is the Yamaha THR10 modeling amp. I love tubes at volume, but at very low volume levels, the THR10 actually sounds better. Better than any of the inexpensive SS amps that parents usually buy for their kids, and it's quite a bit more compact and portable.
You shouldn't be. If anyone here says that the only good amp is a tube amp, I'll debate them til I'm blue in the face. There are a lot of great solid state amps out there. It just depends on the tone you want and are seeking. :)

The Roland JC-120 is legendary. There are many more. I have a Kemper and love it. I just can't play my tube amps at a volume that lets them shine, so the kemper fits that spot nicely and to me sounds identical. I've modelled my amps and can't tell the difference. Of course, that's not a 200$ price range amp :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

My Champ with Reverb sounds awesome at bedrooms volumes, so it can be done with tubes too.