Monkeymatic Tamalpais #3 (5F6A/JTM45)

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Monkeymatic Tamalpais #3 (5F6A/JTM45)

Post by xtian »

Starting on a 5F6A/JTM45 head. Not for purists (have I done anything according to the original?). Using OEM Fender HRD PT, one of my vintage Schumacher 60w 6K OTs with a pair of 6L6GCs, SS recto with stiffer filtering, Frondelli MV (per R.Robinette's page), separate V1 cathodes, Bassman/JTM NFB switch, adjustable fixed bias.

Cabinet is already built. Hope this creative take on housing the Tweed Bassman chassis will work--it has only two points to fasten the chassis. Pine box with maple front, stained, and just one coat of Tung oil.

cab1.jpg
cab2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Re: Monkeymatic Tamalpais #3 (5F6A/JTM45)

Post by xtian »

All that's left is wiring the boards into the chassis.

Instead of drilling holes to mount the boards, I used self-adhesive standoffs. Pretty handy!

IMG_1971.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Wow Aaron that looks sweet. Can’t wait to see and hear how it turns out.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very clean looking build!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
xtian

Post by xtian »

dorrisant wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:43 pm Very clean looking build!
Of course! No wires in it to clutter up the presentation!
ER

Post by ER »

It's bluetooth wireless!

I think I'd put the standby back on the front and put the MV on the back (if that's what's going on in the pics). The Frondeli is nice if you lose a wiper, but like most PPIMV it should be used full up as often as possible to approximate the stock circuit and only knocked back when/as needed. I also try and shy away from having any of the pots to close to any of the AC like the ON switch or the 6.3 of the lamp, plus the panel is already labeled for standby.

If you're playing live, you won't want to fumble around the back panel for standby, and with a drummer, the MV will most likely be a set-it-and-forget-it, if not full up affair. In the studio, you have the luxury to spend time dialing things. I had an old tweed bassman converted to a head back in the day and it wasn't overly loud with the right speaker combination, like a 1x12. My 2cents.

I almost did the same thing on a Silvertone 1484 I'm working on (the standby switches off the pre-amp signal because it has a doubler power supply) but I decided to put the MV in the ground switch spot instead since I'm putting a 3 prong on it and a true standby with a DPDT on the doubler B+ legs (fingers crossed).

Another thing to look at is trying to add switching where you can internally jumper and/or cascade the two bright/normal first gain stages, that could possibly get you some good drive and tonal flexibility in conjunction with the MV.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thx, mate! No standby switches on my amps, man.

I'm running shielded (star quad) to the MV, so fingers crossed.
ER

Post by ER »

Sorry! I mistook the NFB switch for a possible relocated standby. Now that I see it by the OPT jacks it all makes sense!
xtian

Post by xtian »

All done, and sounding great...after it took me a day and a half to figure out I had forgotten the artificial heater center tap. Duh.

monkeymatic-tamalpais-#3-00.jpg
monkeymatic-tamalpais-#3-01.jpg
monkeymatic-tamalpais-#3-02.jpg
monkeymatic-tamalpais-#3-03.jpg
xtian

Post by xtian »

Here's the final schematic with all my mods.

2019-Monkeymatic-Tamalpais-#3-schematic.gif
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Nice job man!
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Congrats on this great build! Any sound clip? I am curious to hear the differences between the bassman channel and the JTM45 on this build! How is the stiffer filtering? Tighter bass?

Thanks!

Fred.

Fred.

Last edited by fred.violleau on Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Fred, the only JTM/5F6A setting I have is the NFB switch, which chooses between 68K (5F6A) and 27K (JTM) NFB resistors. I just hear the 68K NFB as more gain--doesn't change the EQ much.

I'm using an ON-OFF-ON switch for NFB, and oddly, when I choose OFF, which means no NFB, my sound vanishes. Why would that be?
didit

Post by didit »

xtian wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm I'm using an ON-OFF-ON switch for NFB, and oddly, when I choose OFF, which means no NFB, my sound vanishes. Why would that be?
End of crazy day, & ~13.5 seconds of thought before typing so wild thoughts. Looking at your schematic earlier and again just now left me head scratching vis grounding of the PI. My semi-blind mind's eye sees a path through the output transformer secondary. Perhaps, or perhaps not. And if not, perhaps someone else?

Best .. Ian
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Look at your schematic. That "x" below the presence pot is killing the PI tube current.