5e7 build - where to use carbon comp resistors?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ginomolinari

5e7 build - where to use carbon comp resistors?

Post by ginomolinari »

Hi everybody I am new to amp building and I have a conundrum I hope Incan get some help with. I have bought a 5e7 chassis from Weber and sourced all the parts myself. I wanted to go the safe route and get all modern compinents untill a friend in the audio business unloaded on me a bunch of VOS parts. Now I am considering using carbon comp resistors sparingly. I have read they should be used only where high current drups occur like plate and phase inverter. Here is my question: i have no idea where these resistors are in the lauout. Could some expert give a hand to this noob?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I promise lots of pictures.
Thanks
sluckey

Re: 5e7 build - where to use carbon comp resistors?

Post by sluckey »

Fender used carbon comps for every resistor in that amp.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ginomolinari

Post by ginomolinari »

Yea that is the article I have read as well. Unfortunately I dont know which resistors are connected to the plate and before and after the PI. Can you point them out for me?
ginomolinari

Post by ginomolinari »

Here is the layout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ginomolinari

Post by ginomolinari »

Thank you Sluckey. I have seen a build from a member of this forum and he used all carbon comp as well. Not criticizing that choice. I just would love to minimize the use of carbon comp resistors to where the are actually making a difference.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks like there is exactly one resistor that fits the criteria in RG's article, the 100k on the tube socket (second from the right in the layout sluckey posted). The other candidates are either on input stages or inside the feedback loop.
gingertube

Post by gingertube »

Carbon Composition resistors suffer from noise problems, that noise is proportional to current, so you should NOT use them anywhere that there are highish currents, particularly not for anode load resistors.

I see some do say use them for anode load resistors, the rational for that is that their real resistance has some voltage dependency which means that their resistance "modulates" with the audio signal. That will introduce some additional 2nd harmonic distortion. The additional distortion is hardly noticeable over the natural distortion of the tube itself and is not worth the sacrifice in noise performance.
Oh - they also have good peak voltage withstand but not significantly better than a 2W metal film.

Use modern metal film resistors everywhere. Carefull of the 0.5W and 0.6W metal films - they often have voltage ratings of ONLY 350V. Use 1 or 2 Watt metal films for a 500V rating (or use 2 off 0.5W of 1/2 the required value in series so they handle 1/2 the voltage each).

The ONLY place I would comtemplate using carbon comp is for gridstop resistors where their non-inductive nature maybe of benefit.

My opinions only.

Cheers,
Ian
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

The reason why one would use the carbon composition resistors is for the noise. They make the amp sound like it is supposed to sound. Therefore it would be best to use them in every position except maybe in the power supply. I’ve been told that the amp will have no color without them. Goes for 5E3’s, 5F6-A etc. I hope this helps. You can just build it without them but it won’t be the same.
ginomolinari

Post by ginomolinari »

Thank you! OMG, i just checked the ratings for the metal film resistors I have bought and the 1/2 watt are as low as 200v. That means, I have to reorder almost everything!! :x
xtian

Post by xtian »

wpaulvogel wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 pm The reason why one would use the carbon composition resistors is for the noise. They make the amp sound like it is supposed to sound. Therefore it would be best to use them in every position except maybe in the power supply. I’ve been told that the amp will have no color without them. Goes for 5E3’s, 5F6-A etc. I hope this helps. You can just build it without them but it won’t be the same.
Totally disagree. Carry on.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

Alright sorry, I've never built anything with carbon composition resistors. There was just a guy at an old electronics store in Atlanta where I would buy some parts and that is what he said. He built some tweed stuff and swore by them. I stand corrected. I don't want any extra noise myself, and I'm not happy with the white noise in certain amps but sometimes it's just part of the gain. I'll shut up.
xtian

Post by xtian »

wpaulvogel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 pm Alright sorry, I've never built anything with carbon composition resistors. There was just a guy at an old electronics store in Atlanta where I would buy some parts and that is what he said. He built some tweed stuff and swore by them. I stand corrected. I don't want any extra noise myself, and I'm not happy with the white noise in certain amps but sometimes it's just part of the gain. I'll shut up.
I feel like, when I started building about 10 years ago, that there were still a few "vintage cork sniffers" in town, who held similar beliefs, like, "Leo did it that way, thus, that way is best, and all other ways sucketh." Seems like the cork sniffers are a dying breed around here...or at least, around me...and the musicians who remain much prefer tone, low noise, and reliability over snake oil.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ginomolinari

Post by ginomolinari »

Xitian, I appreciate your input and I share with you the idea that playing music is an experience that shouldn't be influenced too much by the tools you utilize. I do find it interesting though that you use the term cork sniffer. If you appreciate wine it is quite a normal thing to do that can tell you a lot a about what you are about to drink. Same thing to me if you are doing anything you are passionate about. I am spending a pretty penny building this amp. I waited a very long time to get to this point and I want to make sure I do it right and I don’t cut corners. Plus, a little snake oil seams to work with the ladies.
billyz

Post by billyz »

I built a clone of the 5e7 bandmaster and used ALL Carbon Comp resistors just like the original 57 I cloned. There is no noise to speak of and it sounds awesome. Not bashing metal films or carbon films, just want to point out the noise is not an issue at all. Better to pay attention to lead dress and grounding for a quiet amp build. These vintage fender circuits are not high gain monsters that are extremely sensitive to any noise.
The Clone I built is so quiet you don't even know its on. By the way, I used old cloth wire pulled from an organ and NOS
film and foil caps ( tested) , a NOS domino treble cap and New Electrolytics of course.