I'm thinking about buying a modeling pedalboard.

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

I'm thinking about buying a modeling pedalboard.

Post by LeftyStrat »

I love my tube amps, but I'm a lazy old man that's thinking about gigging with one of the following; Line6 Helix, Boss GT-1000, or a Headrush Pedalboard. Any of you using those? The Line6 is lowest on the list because I owned a Line6 POD and absolutely hated it. Most of the models were a joke. The GT-1000 apparently sounds good, but has a really shitty UI. Headrush has the best UI but limited models. Headrush is also owned by a company that has done the abandonware twice on me. The Avid Digi001, they decided to not port drivers to Mac OS X, and Alesis decided to not release signed drivers for the latest OS X.

Of the amps I have built, my favorite is a a hybrid of a JTM45 and 50 watter. It started as a JTM45, but the bass was muddy and undefined. I upped the filtering to 50 watt specs, and the slope resistor to 100 watt specs. I named the amp Mary (Wind Cries Mary), and put it in a purple tolex small box head. That clean to hair to dirt is something I love. It still has a tube rectifier and will compress and sustain when hit with a booster pedal.

Can any of these modelers achieve that tone?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
xtian

Re: I'm thinking about buying a modeling pedalboard.

Post by xtian »

I’ve been gigging the Helix for two years, and I love it. Tried all the possibilities, from straight to house with amp and cab emulation, and now I’m back to Helix as FX only, into my ODS clean channel, miced w an SM57. The models, both amps and FX, are awesome. Super flexible. Recording, looping, voice and acoustic, you name it.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
islandamp

Post by islandamp »

I bought a Line 6 hd500X, but got bored long before I figured out how to use it. In the 3 hours or so that I played with it, I got some pretty good sounds if I used the effects in moderation. If you go that route, I'll sell it for $250. I really prefer a Champ style amp with
only 2 knobs.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

Kemper has a new model, the Profiler Floorboard.
https://www.kemper-amps.com/news/57/The ... ILER-Stage
Steve
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

stephenl wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:31 pm Kemper has a new model, the Profiler Floorboard.
https://www.kemper-amps.com/news/57/The ... ILER-Stage
Interesting. I hadn't seen that.

EDIT: That rotary preset might have just sold me. My poor wallet.
Last edited by LeftyStrat on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I love my kemper but didn't buy the footpedal option with it, and now I'm beating myself up because I could have waited and for the same price had both :D

It is the closest to tube sound I've ever heard. I've profiled many of my builds and love how they sound.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:16 pm I love my kemper but didn't buy the footpedal option with it, and now I'm beating myself up because I could have waited and for the same price had both :D

It is the closest to tube sound I've ever heard. I've profiled many of my builds and love how they sound.

~Phil
I didn't realize it was an option. The concept of building and tweaking an amp and then modeling it really appeals to me.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

Curious, do people using the Kemper/modeling amps plug them into a tube power amp on stage, or just feed them into the PA and monitors? Is it redundant to use a tube power amp/speaker since it models the complete amp including the PA and speaker cab?
Steve
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

stephenl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 am Curious, do people using the Kemper/modeling amps plug them into a tube power amp on stage, or just feed them into the PA and monitors? Is it redundant to use a tube power amp/speaker since it models the complete amp including the PA and speaker cab?
I've not played live with mine, but my understanding is that you put it's output directly into the PA.

There is also a model with a Class D amp in it, so you can have it powered into a speaker cabinet for yourself on stage if you want. As for using a tube amp, it would actually be a bit problematic as you're pushing an already colored tone into something that is supposed to 'color the tone' if that makes sense. From what I've heard pushing a kemper into a power amp and cabinet sounds way off, because it's like pushing it through a power amp (profiled) and a speaker cabinet (profiled) into a power amp (real) and a speaker cabinet (real) and that ends up doing really weird things to it. I think I did read that some people will leave the profile of the amplifier 'on' but turn off the 'cabinet' part of the output so the power amp and speakers provide that part of the 'color' to the sound. There are tons of options of course that I'm probably not thinking of. Most people, if they're going to use it amped outside of a PA, will use some kind of solid state, super clean amp into an FRFR (Full Range Frequency Response I think?) Cabinet, that has a full uncolored frequency response.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

stephenl wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 am Curious, do people using the Kemper/modeling amps plug them into a tube power amp on stage, or just feed them into the PA and monitors? Is it redundant to use a tube power amp/speaker since it models the complete amp including the PA and speaker cab?
My plan is to run it through one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... on-mark-ii

I snagged one before they were discontinued.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I run my Kemper straight into the front of house PA and then either have it sent back through floor monitors or in ear monitors.

It's a great sounding, versatile unit and the new floor machine looks great, I have the Original toaster with the Kemper floor board and a couple of expression pedals. i sometimes use a pedal board in front and in the FX loop just like a regular amp rig.

M
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

These have lots of fans.

https://atomicamps.com/
xtian

Post by xtian »

Here's a brand new video comparing Helix vs new Kemper Stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKivKPtiZf0
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Well, I came across another entry, the Mooer GE300:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IisRPRcz-3Q
xtian

Post by xtian »

LeftyStrat wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 pm Well, I came across another entry, the Mooer GE300:
Capsule review: A crippled Helix, for half the price.

The GE300 locks the pedal chain into their flow, and you cannot reorganize it. You can't have four reverbs cascading. You can't have a looper for your voice only, a second path for your bassist, and a third path for your guitar. But! Half price!