Vibro Champ Reverb Amp?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Seiche

Vibro Champ Reverb Amp?

Post by Seiche »

So I've stumbled upon the Champ Reverb Amp Threads, one of them on offsetguitars, one here.

I would like to build a vibro champ with reverb. My strategy is as follows:
- take princeton reverb preamp stage including reverb
- add champ output stage with single 6V6
- take vibro champ LFO and add it to the second triode of the preamp just before the reverb link

From what I understand so far the main challenge will be getting the correct voltages to ensure good operation of each individual part (e.g. PR preamp has lower voltages than the (vibro) champs preamp, but the reverb input has a higher voltage of 400V in the princeton so the voltage might be taken from a different B+, or the power supply redesigned).

I have a attached a mockup schematic cut together out of the two schematics
Schematic_VCR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Seiche on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Re: Vibro Champ Reverb Amp?

Post by martin manning »

Isn't what you are proposing pretty much a Princeton Reverb with a SE power amp replacing the PP?
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

Yes. But the tremolo on the princeton is power amp bias modulation vs preamp bias modulation on the vibro champ.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

That'd be covered under "pretty much," I think. It could be done either way.
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

I'm actually asking if this would work with the reverb or not, because I'm not sure :lol:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The problem I see is that the Champ power stage only wants about 350V on the plate, and 300 on the screen. That's going to leave the reverb driver and tremolo oscillator with less than 300V to work with if you power them from the screen node. Perhaps a branched power supply would work.
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

The standalone reverb seems to have voltages below 300v as well
didit

Post by didit »

Those voltages at screen really ought to be adequate. I'd be more concerned about clean decoupling across preamp, tremolo, and reverb. Martin's suggest helps with that, and requires only one extra tie-point and an extra resistor plus filter electrolytic. The tremolo signal perhaps should get injected into final preamp V3B, thus avoiding putting it through the reverb circuit. Both these changes are easily tested experimentally with minor wiring modifications once you have it built. Learn by trying?

Best .. Ian
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

didit wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm The tremolo signal perhaps should get injected into final preamp V3B, thus avoiding putting it through the reverb circuit.
What's the advantage of this? It would be closer to the princeton in that way, but it feels more intuitive to have trem before reverb (similar to a pedal going into the amp).

The other thing I've pondered is the dry signal will not be pure vibro champ with that 3M3/10pf and extra gain stage. Maybe the 3M and extra gain stage should be in the wet path only, similar to the champ reverb on offsetguitars.
didit

Post by didit »

Seiche wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 am
didit wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:52 pm The tremolo signal perhaps should get injected into final preamp V3B, thus avoiding putting it through the reverb circuit.
What's the advantage of this? It would be closer to the princeton in that way, but it feels more intuitive to have trem before reverb (similar to a pedal going into the amp).
It avoids putting tremolo through the reverb circuit, which is how all Fender and most other topologies are arranged. Try it both ways? See whether you appreciate the effect of your reverb being pulse pounded. And actually it will be precisely stock Vibrochamp. Analysis worked from power out back toward the input is more accurate to understanding generally, and certainly in this case.

Best .. Ian
Last edited by didit on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig B

Post by Craig B »

I built a similar amp (but "high power") with good success--eventually. I got a bit of unwanted distortion when using the VibroChamp trem circuit at maximum intensity. So I used the Vactrol-based trem developed by Sluckey and 2deaf. http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=24334.0 Their circuit partially grounds out the signal but does it more gradually and smoothly than the fender roach. I found that in my hot chassis the intensity diminished the longer I played. So I switched to a solid-state plug in rectifier to cool the chassis. That worked well and I enjoy the amp a lot. It uses a PT with dual secondaries. The high voltage readings are in parenthesis on my schematic:
Sumatra 10 Vibrochamp Vactrol 10-02-2019.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

didit wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:25 pm And actually it will precisely stock Vibrochamp. Analysis worked from power out back toward the input is more accurate to understanding generally, and certainly in this case.
Hi Ian, I don't understand this sentence.
didit

Post by didit »

Seiche wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:42 pm
didit wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:25 pm And actually it will be precisely stock Vibrochamp. Analysis worked from power out back toward the input is more accurate to understanding generally, and certainly in this case.
Hi Ian, I don't understand this sentence.
Apologies, perhaps my words were a bit too terse. Also left a critical verb "be" out (which I've edited to fix). I mean that the last preamp triode is correct location for injecting tremolo per the Vibrochamp design and my recommendation. It is often better when comparing circuits to work through the signal chain in reverse starting with output power stage. As I interpreted what you had written it seemed clear you had worked forward from the input jack.

Looking at the schematic posted by Craig, that seems correct to me, perhaps other than his higher power output. I believe one could tame the tremolo without resorting to vactrol though. Particularly appreciate the use of silicon rectification.

Best .. Ian
Seiche

Post by Seiche »

Ah gotcha :)
jjman

Post by jjman »

Trem before vs after reverb is important and a personal choice. Experimenting with pedals could be fruitful.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.