Output safety resistor

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

Output safety resistor

Post by Aurora »

I'm working on a appx 80W amp....On some occations, I've seen references to a sort of output "safety"resistor, - a 60-70 ohms resistor across the output, as a sort of safeguard against no load situations... what's your thouhgts on this??
tubeswell

Re: Output safety resistor

Post by tubeswell »

Handy for those 'in case' moments (if someone forgets to plug the speaker in or the speaker coil goes open).

A permanent resistance across the secondary doesn't do any harm if the resistor is sufficiently high resistance to not affect the reflected load, nor divert output power away from the speaker (as a permanent resistor would be in parallel with the speaker load).

If you're worried about the purity of it, leave the resistor out, or wire up a switching jack so the resistor is only connected when a speaker isn't plugged in
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

But be aware using the switched jack will not protect anything if the disconnect happens at the speaker end, or if you have an open voice coil.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

I think it very beneficial to hardwire a safety resistor across the OT secondary, typical value in commercial amps seems to be about 25x the nominal load, eg Traynor YBA1 http://www.0rigami.com/vb/traynor_bassm ... _yba1b.pdf Vox AC50 https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... ac50_1.pdf
Too low a value will tend to damp speaker bass resonance a bit.
Consider that the <1kohm feedback potential divider on many Fender BF/SF models may act as such a safety resistor, and help to mitigate an open secondary.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I use a 250 ohm resistor so it's well above loading down the amp any in normal use.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!