Fuse Holder Placement

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Fuse Holder Placement

Post by Littlewyan »

I need your opinions on this. This new amp has a separate PSU board for my relay circuit. This PSU board has its own transformer and so it runs off a mains feed from the On/Off switch. I felt it was worth putting a separate fuse on this as the 2A Mains Fuse is far too big for a circuit this small. However, after installing the fuse holder in its designated place I realised its actually not particularly safe...... It's right next to the PT HT Secondary connections and rectifier diodes.

So I have three options:

1. Run the wire for the fuse holder through the bottom of the turret board into the fuse holder lugs. This will stop the fuse holder from potentially ever moving as the wire will hold it, but it means I can't wrap heatstrink around the connections to cover them. Plus, using wire to hold something like this in place isn't particularly good practice!
2. Run the wire straight to the fuse holder lugs and heatstrink wrap them. This means there is nothing as a fail safe stopping the fuse holder from potentially ever moving.
3. Remove the fuse holder and run the wires straight to the relay PSU board. Possibly put it an inline fuse holder.

What are your thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frankdrebin

Re: Fuse Holder Placement

Post by frankdrebin »

i would use a plastic flying fuse holder,direct to the psu
xtian

Post by xtian »

It's only dangerous if you poke around with your fingers. :) It's not going to arc.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I was thinking more, if it ever came loose for whatever reason it could turn and touch the turrets. I’m tempted to just remove it and use an inline fuse.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I'm still solving your problems: shrinkwrap those end-terminals. Problem solved.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I think it's fine where you've put it. But it sounds like you want to shift it for peace of mind - so do that.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Still solving my problems? I stated that option in my first message :| The issue I have with it is it wouldn’t stop the fuse holder from possibly turning and touching the diodes if it ever came loose. I think I’ll inline fuse it. It’ll be away the HT connections then.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Have the fuse wires come up from below the board through the holes then soldered to the tab, how can it move then?

Mark
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Clearly, you are uncomfortable about this. Although others don't perceive a problem, you are the final judge. Go with what Frank said. Use an in-line fuseholder. There are a few different varieties. Here's one kind:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-AGC- ... Swn51UZAh1
They come in a variety of sizes.
You could zip tie it to the board. If that interferes with a fuse change, the zip tie is a disposable part.
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

You could use this style fuse holder.
Fusing modification alt view_zpsvniizib3.jpg
You can't see it in the photo, but it's a plastic base with a hole in the center to secure it with a screw/nut/bolt, etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SoulFetish

Post by SoulFetish »

dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

You could run the wires up through the board holes and heat shrink them before fastening the fuse holder to the board... Wouldn't that work?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo