Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: output transformer primary impeadance

Post by martin manning »

No worries, Pete!
Darrellton

Post by Darrellton »

If it makes you feel better, Pete, I came to the same conclusion as you. It happens, I suppose.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

lumox0013 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:48 pmany suggestions for a micro push pull with those values ?
So are you set on using the above 4k:16 transformer? A pp configuration could be worked out for that. You'll probably have to run a 16Ω speaker to keep the reflected load impedance up. What tubes are you looking at? Triodes? Parallel triodes on each side (one 12AU7 tube on each side, say) would halve the required load. Pentodes? There are some options there, as well as triode-pentode combinations that could be used. Hammond makes some small SE and PP transformers with multiple impedance ratio options, but I suspect you are wanting to use something you have on-hand.
bmx

Post by bmx »

I think I remember R.G. talking about using a MosFet setup to draw idle current off the unused half of the primary to balance the D.C. currents.
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

thank you all for the help ,I mostly build from old stock parts i have on hand , Im currently looking at a set of 6bm8s and then moving the load up to 8k @ 32 ohms happy holidays!!

any opinions on the amount of juice needed for these tubes I have not used them before ,Cheers
Live , Love , Learn