WHICH MORGAN AMP??

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zozoe

WHICH MORGAN AMP??

Post by zozoe »

Hi all~ I'm truly torn between the JMI Head & the AC20 Deluxe head,,, great sound clips of each amp online & they sound very similar. The EF86 is my favorite feature in favor of the AC20, and though it has only a 'cut' tone control, the dip switches seem to offer additional tone control. No one carries them I would not be able to audition one, which is where you'all come in,,, I trust you folks... I already have an empty 1x12 Morgan shell to receive a new chassis!
Thanks, Kenny
🕉
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: WHICH MORGAN AMP??

Post by LeftyStrat »

That EF86 channel in the AC20 is pure magic. I've never played one, but the first time I heard a video of it, my jaw dropped. Apparently the guys at Fractal Audio thought it was special enough to model for the Axe-Fx III. I believe that is the only Morgan Amp they modeled.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This may be of interest to you. Even if not an exact fit, it may inspire other ideas. You can have both...

http://sluckeyamps.com/dual_lite/dual_lite.htm
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

sluckey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:57 pm This may be of interest to you. Even if not an exact fit, it may inspire other ideas. You can have both...

http://sluckeyamps.com/dual_lite/dual_lite.htm
Steve,

Funny you should post this, It's on my list as my next amp to build :D is it loud enough to gig with, or is it a studio amp? i.e is there clean headroom above a drummer?

I was thinking of building this and the american dual amp with the fender /ampeg I think in those two you'd have a great pair of studio amps.

M
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The Brit dual is an 18W amp. It's just as loud as my Marshall 1974 18 watt amp. I don't know about clean over a drummer. Never been in a band situation. Definitely got plenty of clean for a studio.

The USA dual is a 30W 6L6 AB763 amp with an Ampeg preamp too. Should be able to keep up with a 'reasonable' drummer, but I don't know for sure. Think of playing with a Fender Pro, or Tremolux or an Ampeg Gemini I.

Those two amps will cover a lot of sounds in the studio for sure.
turbofeedus

Post by turbofeedus »

zozoe wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:34 pm Hi all~ I'm truly torn between the JMI Head & the AC20 Deluxe head,,, great sound clips of each amp online & they sound very similar. The EF86 is my favorite feature in favor of the AC20, and though it has only a 'cut' tone control, the dip switches seem to offer additional tone control. No one carries them I would not be able to audition one, which is where you'all come in,,, I trust you folks... I already have an empty 1x12 Morgan shell to receive a new chassis!
Thanks, Kenny
🕉
Which morgan amp?... None.
Dude has an abysmal reputation for customer service, best to steer clear.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't like the guy Morgan but now his amps are built at Boutique Amps Distribution.