PRS Sonzera Buzz

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

PRS Sonzera Buzz

Post by jestaudio »

Long time no see folks, finally getting back into amps after a long layoff due to work and family, anyone here got any experience with the PRS sonzera 50, my nephew snagged one 2nd hand and it has a annoying buzz on the clean channel, tried the usual and gone for known to be good tubes, PCB are a PITA and its not really my thing
jestaudio

Re: PRS Sonzera Buzz

Post by jestaudio »

Ok with a little and very useful advice from Doug from PRSA, big shout out to him for taking the time , I've now narrowed it down to 120hz interference , changed the earthing a little which has alleviated a little of the issue but still left with a noticeable buzz particularly when the reverb is turned up and down, i'm starting to question the filtering , tried chop sticking the flying leads to no avail, any suggestions?
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

Update, 6v output on transformer is toasted, just expired after tripping the house electrics, one half of the winding is reading 1.5 volts to chassis, the other 6.3 vots, sort of explains why my filament voltages were all over the place
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Does it have a hum balance pot that's shorted?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

No mate, really stressed now but nowt I can do, being in the UK no one wants to even touch these for repair, not even the dealers, its gone on ebay as a spares or repair and cut the loses