Toshiba 6GB8 hi-fi tubes

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andresound

Toshiba 6GB8 hi-fi tubes

Post by andresound »

Hi guys. Can’t find any info in English. I have been given a pair of these tubes. They look VERY similar internally to my Fx2’s but with black plates. Google seems to suggest these are EL34 type equivalents, just “higher” grade. Before I try them in my beloved TW Express, I want to make sure. Any suggestions?
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
andresound

Re: Toshiba 6GB8 hi-fi tubes

Post by andresound »

Well the Japanese data sheet shows the pin out to be identical to a EL34, (my Japanese is not good 😏), with the exception of the suppressor grid (g3), being tied to the Cathode internally.
Due to the lack of response in this thread..., maybe I should move it to the TW thread?
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
ChopSauce

Anyone knows Toshiba 6GB8 hi-fi tubes?

Post by ChopSauce »

Or to some japanese forum... :?

This section proved being the right place to ask this kind of question. Most likely nobody knows?!.

I can't see what you could do beyond the title stating that you're asking a question (& possibly which one)
didit

Re: Toshiba 6GB8 hi-fi tubes

Post by didit »

Hello -

Got curious, had a few minutes with coffee so read a bit. Based on Japanese data sheet -- numbers, illustrations & curve charts -- along with various commentary on the web this tube is a beam pentode that compares well with the 8417. Compatible pinout except as already noted with 1.5A filament. Higher voltage and plate dissipation. Try them. Expect bias adjustment and expect it not to sound like EL34.

Best .. Ian